What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VII- BBQ at the B&B 2015

Today was a complete wash out, so no smoking for me. Supposed to go to the Tigers game tomorrow, but the baby is a hot mess so that might be postponed as well. If so, I plan on smoking the chicken tomorrow.

Lamp Chops, Peppers and Warm French Potato Salad. It sure is nice having herbs available in the garden the past few years.

Wife's choice.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1435448431765.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1435448431765.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 89
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1435448486862.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1435448486862.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 88
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1435448537334.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1435448537334.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 88

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just had the beat flavor event ever. The stepdaughter was over, because I was working and the wife felt poorly. Her husband did some grilling, saving mine until I got home. He grilled me a rib eye and lobster tail. So, I am eating it. A piece of the rib eye falls off the fork and lands in the melted butter. OMG- rib eye and melted butter. Why didn't I think of this before?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I just had the beat flavor event ever. The stepdaughter was over, because I was working and the wife felt poorly. Her husband did some grilling, saving mine until I got home. He grilled me a rib eye and lobster tail. So, I am eating it. A piece of the rib eye falls off the fork and lands in the melted butter. OMG- rib eye and melted butter. Why didn't I think of this before?
Have you not had a steak with garlic butter before? Classic steak accompaniment

The odd time I will place a dab of partially chilled garlic butter on a steak while it rests. It is super easy, you can have it on hand and do each steak as they want or don't.

You can even roll it out in Saran and have it ready to go in the freezer and slice off as needed.

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Stop it already. You're killing me Smalls!!!!!
I am gonna have to buy two NY Strips tonight and BBQ them and then place a dollop of garlic butter on them.

Didn't get a chance to break in the smoker yet, but did I nice pork loin on the gas grill last night. Seared it on all sides, then moved it over to the cool side for 35 minutes of indirect.

Any recommendations on a good thermistor that I can use on either the smoker or gas grill? I've heard good things about the Mavericks, but would like the options of those in this thread. Thanks.

Didn't get a chance to break in the smoker yet, but did I nice pork loin on the gas grill last night. Seared it on all sides, then moved it over to the cool side for 35 minutes of indirect.

Any recommendations on a good thermistor that I can use on either the smoker or gas grill? I've heard good things about the Mavericks, but would like the options of those in this thread. Thanks.
The Maverick is a good unit and pretty inexpensive. Mine seems to have settled down and isn't eating batteries as much, most likely the warmer weather helps it. It is fairly accurate compared to my ThermoWorks unit but the ThermoWorks is much more sensitive to fluctuations when you open the lid to show instant temps. During a smoke, it doesn't have to be instant so it's not a big deal and probably not needed as much as when you are testing meat temp on a steak. One of my Maverick probes konked out after the first use, very disappointing, but they sent me a free replacement. I'm not sure it is built to last years and years.

ThermoWorks is beefier, more options for probes, is easier to set but doesn't have the remote to go in the house and leave the smoker. They make a Bluetooth one now but it probably cost as much as many grills. Same goes for some of the other digital systems that adjust temp on the fly, they are way out of my price range.

I enjoy having both, especially now when I find myself smoking a few things at once or need fine tune temps where the ThermoWork is better like cheese.

For $60-70 (or less), the Maverick is a good starting point that may end up being all you ever need. If you have the money, I'd go for a ThermoWorks as it just seems to be more robust, more probe options and more accurate.

Took my new Akorn for a spin this weekend with ribs and corn on the cob, sorry for the poor quality photos. Turned out pretty well for a first cook, but I can do better!

Smoked corn on the cob is great. Lots of ways to do them too. We always enjoy the bit of smokey flavor they get.

Last edited:
Top Bottom