What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VII- BBQ at the B&B 2015

Great job on those chops. Grilled assparagus is also one of my favorite vegetables, but we usually buy the larger stock ones an do them right on the grill.

First food on the traeger. 1.5lb of salmon. It turned out real good. Used some Rub With Love and threw it in. Took almost 45 minutes with finally turning it to high for the last 10 minutes. It was delicious!

That fish looks great. Congrats on your first use with it and hope to see more of your cooks.

What's wrong with this one? It's what I use and the price is much better. I think it does the same stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-ET-733-Wireless-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B00FOCR4UI

Nothing wrong with it and many are completely happy with them. The Thermoworks is more industrial and heavy duty with the ability to add different probes.

I've had my ET-733 for 18 mos or so now and wouldn't recommend it. If my display was as bright as the one in that pic, I'd probably enjoy it more...but I have to hold it at an exact angle or it's all white-washed and unreadable.

Last edited:
^We cut the fibrous ends off the asparagus and smother it in butter and minced garlic. It was just right, not too tough, not mushy! :)

Great job on those chops. Grilled assparagus is also one of my favorite vegetables, but we usually buy the larger stock ones an do them right on the grill.

That fish looks great. Congrats on your first use with it and hope to see more of your cooks.

Nothing wrong with it and many are completely happy with them. The Thermoworks is more industrial and heavy duty with the ability to add different probes.

I've had my ET-733 for 18 mos or so now and wouldn't recommend it. If my display was as bright as the one in that pic, I'd probably enjoy it more...but I have to hold it at an exact angle or it's all white-washed and unreadable.
Just out of curiosity what don't you like about it? I think it's a pain to get setup but other than that I really like it.

Just out of curiosity what don't you like about it? I think it's a pain to get setup but other than that I really like it.

Pain to set up, difficult to read in sunlight or unless at a angle looking down on it, probe died after first use (they sent me a replacement), eats batteries.

I swear, every time I go to use it, I take 20 minutes to set it up, unscrew the battery compartment and replace the batteries after digging through the drawer for AAA's

Pain to set up, difficult to read in sunlight or unless at a angle looking down on it, probe died after first use (they sent me a replacement), eats batteries.

I swear, every time I go to use it, I take 20 minutes to set it up, unscrew the battery compartment and replace the batteries after digging through the drawer for AAA's
I do agree it's a pain to setup but I haven't used mine enough to notice battery consumption.

I agree that the display is not the greatest on mine either, and it does seem to eat batteries fairly quickly. I don't find it time consuming to set up, but in all I'm not impressed with mine. Thinking about getting a Tappecue wifi 4 probe thermometer to replace it.

My latest "wireless" doodad. :)

$uploadfromtaptalk1425267055283.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It tasted good too. One of the briskets fell apart like roast. Which is not presentable to be judged. Luckily we had two other backup's.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nomm nomm nomm.

I'll let you know when there is a cook-off in this area so you and your brother can bring some of that goodness this way.

What kind of wood did y'all use...hickory, mesquite, pecan or a mix?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Thanks. I'll have a look on my laminated poster that Beef Canada sent me. It hangs in my wood shop :w00t:

I saw it at the butcher on day, emailed the Government Boars and they sent me the huge, heavy duty, laminated poster for free. My wife thought I was nuts...actually, she still does.

For those of us with less understanding wives. There is a PDF here.

Greetings all ... so I found an offset, reverse flow smoker on my local Craigslist, complete with charcoal basket and fire bricks, as well as a smokestack extension. It's used, and based on the pics it's seen a few seasons, but that doesn't phase me.

I've only used offset regular flow in the past ... any tips/tricks/thoughts on reverse flow? I'm hoping to get out to see the smoker this evening.

I'm going to smoke a pork butt this weekend and usually just rub them, but I'm thinking of injecting it just to see how it goes. Any major differences and is it even worth doing?

Top Bottom