What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VII- BBQ at the B&B 2015

Why not? It is fun to see how people are doing things, IMO. I might learn something.
Me too, I'd love to see them, even though I said I wouldn't.

I just don't know if I want to see the pigs face. So just use one of those black bars across his eyes so we can't make out who it is. :lol:

Don't forget you can probably use the ears, snout, hooves and tail somehow for a dog if you have one. Our dog love dehydrated pig parts from the pet store.

Actually, this topic may need a devoted thread for future reference.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1435956286240.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1435956286240.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Dane,

I think Bruce has a good point. Why not start a new thread. You can use spoilers when needed. You can post pics back here with the final product. Just an idea.

I can't do spoilers on Tapatalk, I'm terrible at thread creation, so I'll just post the final pics :)
Yes you can....

see

You just have to manually do it with "[sp0iler] and [/sp0iler]" but you probably won't need any.

Either way, keep the pics coming.

Dane, I would also like to see the whole process. Can you take some shots of the scalding and scraping? I always feel that you can learn something from these WIPs.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I couldn't pick a live pig and have him slit and hung :huh:

Follow up pics of the slaughter are probably not needed, at least not for me.

You apparently aren't a golfer...I mean hunter. :lol:

I worked in packing houses for several years when I was younger, so I was the hired assassin for the people that hired their killin' done.

Dane, I would also like to see the whole process. Can you take some shots of the scalding and scraping? I always feel that you can learn something from these WIPs.

Although we had more equipment that the barnyard thing, a blow torch would get some of the leftover hair off after scalding and before you started scraping. And you needed to hold the knife at an angle...kinda like a straight razor.

Hey...this is a shaving forum, right. :001_smile

Mom used to talk about pig scalding time, in the fall, but I never saw Granddad butcher one.

I'd be interested in how Dane does his also.

You apparently aren't a golfer...I mean hunter. [emoji38]

I worked in packing houses for several years when I was younger, so I was the hired assassin for the people that hired their killin' done.

Although we had more equipment that the barnyard thing, a blow torch would get some of the leftover hair off after scalding and before you started scraping. And you needed to hold the knife at an angle...kinda like a straight razor.

Hey...this is a shaving forum, right. :001_smile

Mom used to talk about pig scalding time, in the fall, but I never saw Granddad butcher one.

I'd be interested in how Dane does his also.
I've got a 2'x4'x2' stock tank that I use for scalding. I set it up on cinder blocks and throw a turkey fryer burner under the tank. I fill the tank about 5/8 full and dump in a big box of baking soda. The soda brings the water to temperature (130°) a little quicker and also helps sanitize the pig. When the water hits 130°, we dispatch/bleed the pig and start washing and scrubbing the dirt off. By the time we're done scrubbing, the water is at 145° and we're ready to drop it in the tank. We let it sit for 5-6 minutes and pull it out, and start de-hairing. The back edge of a cleaver seems to work pretty good as a scraper. We usually scrape till the top layer of skin quits coming off with the hair, then it's time for another dip, followed by more scraping. We dip/scrape 3 times, then rinse the carcass with cold water. Any hair that is left will be singe-ed with a propane torch and scrubbed off with a nylon scrub brush. Then we dress it, making sure to keep the heart and liver. Then carcass is rinsed, then wrapped in a 55 gal. garbage sack. The tank is rinsed and the carcass is dropped in with 100lbs. of ice.

I would have taken pictures of the whole process, but it gets hectic/messy after the bleeding and initial scrubbing. Next year, I'll have one of my sons take some pictures. I'm getting ready to mix up my injection recipe and start seasoning the pig. I'll have one of the boys document that process.

Swine Steroids marinade recipe:

The measurements are not set in stone, I just throw it together.

2 Tbs +/- cayenne pepper
2 Tbs celery salt
2 Tbs garlic salt
1 Tbs mustard powder
1 Tbs ginger
1 Tbs white pepper
1 cup apple cider vinegar
3 cups pineapple juice
8 cups apple juice

I inject an ounce or two of Swine Steroids every 9 to 16 square inches of surface area. On the hams and thicker portions, I go to the bone and withdraw while injecting 3 or 4 ounces of marinade.

A lot of injection marinades are mainly vinegar and apple juice. I like to add the pineapple juice, not only for flavor, but also because it contains the enzyme, Bromelain(the same stuff as meat tenderizer).

$uploadfromtaptalk1435977866375.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1435977905545.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1435977940782.jpg

Porky is back on ice. We'll be firing up the grill at about 7:30 tomorrow!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow! A complicated process no doubt.

I saw your edit Aaron...lol. Your eyes better now?

Not complicated, I understood it all...even the 5/8 full tank. Don't put too much water...especially when it's hot, that will wash out of the tank over you when you put the pig in.

He didn't go into dressing it and if it was hung on a gambrel or not. I used to split the breastbone with a knife and then gut, but he may have done something different. You can lay it on its back also. More than one way to skin a....whatever.

The packing house used to do a tank after bled out, then a paddle wheel like on a steamship, then another tank, then the torch and scraping. A whole lot different than knocking, heading, skinning (the breastbone would be split with a saw at that point), gutting, quartering, and shrouding a cow before the cooler.

That's what it takes to get your steaks and pork chops on the table. And your brisket and ribs in the smoker.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Good stuff Dane. Looks like it will be one big pig out at your place. :thumbup:
Have a great day and keep the photos coming

Top Bottom