What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VII- BBQ at the B&B 2015

Ooohhhhh yyeeeaaahhh !!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^
They didn't melt and I was able to maintain steady temps. I didn't realize I'd have to add wood during the smoke, so a few rimes it was sitting st the temp bit zero smoke

I went 2 hours on them, Mild, Medium and Mozza with applewood. If they are too smokey, we can use them in casseroles or on burgers. They smell smokey, that's for sure.

They are resting on the counter for a few hours, I'll wrap them later and then stick them in the fridge for a bit before testing.

It was fun and I got to try my new ThermoWorks TW8060. The top of my grilling basket fit perfectly over my water/ice tray and doubles as a carry in resting tray. Even gave the cheese some designer grid marks.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1429480276409.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1429480276409.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 99

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Making apple dumplings for the first time. Melted a stick of butter, and added some cinnamon and sugar. Diced up some red delicious apples and put them in the sauce. The dough is chilling now- wish me luck

Bruce - your fried rice on the previous page looks delicious, and I hope the apple wood smoke worked out on the cheese. As others have said, it's best to let the cheese mellow 2 to 6 weeks before eating, but who has that kind of self control??? :blink:

This weekend I did two whole chickens in my mini weber smokey mountain. (No pics, sorry! As a penance I will...uh...eat some bacon...?) I coated the birds in butter, stuffed the cavities with onion and rubbed on Herbs de Provence inside and out. 300 F for four hours with apple wood. Topped with a Bavarian style mushroom cream sauce. I think it was a big hit!

Bruce, I don't know how you're still posting. I'd be in a cheese coma right now if I had what came out of your smoker:001_smile
The kids were drooling over it. We came home from diner out and the house smelled like a smokey ashtray and I was worried. It was resting on the tray while before sealing. I cut a slice off the outside of one, took she next piece I'm and was relieves....just a nice mellow smoke flavor.

I think it was the tray giving me the overpowering smoke smell and not the cheese...bit I'll find out in a few weeks.

Bruce - your fried rice on the previous page looks delicious, and I hope the apple wood smoke worked out on the cheese. As others have said, it's best to let the cheese mellow 2 to 6 weeks before eating, but who has that kind of self control??? :blink:

This weekend I did two whole chickens in my mini weber smokey mountain. (No pics, sorry! As a penance I will...uh...eat some bacon...?) I coated the birds in butter, stuffed the cavities with onion and rubbed on Herbs de Provence inside and out. 300 F for four hours with apple wood. Topped with a Bavarian style mushroom cream sauce. I think it was a big hit!

I have wrapped and labeled I'd. Here's hoping we can let it sit untouched until at least the end of the month.

Those butter birds sound awesome. I'm not a fan of mushrooms, but can appreciate their use.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1429493340336.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1429493340336.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 83
Cheese looks good Bruce, doesn't look like it got too warm so you did well. I found it was hardest the first time I smoked cheese to let it rest for a few weeks before eating it, now I make sure to make another batch before I run out of the previous batch.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
It fits here because after you eat a plate of BBQ, you must have apple dumplings for dessert!!!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It fits here because after you eat a plate of BBQ, you must have apple dumplings for dessert!!!

Like Orville said to Wilbur...You're Wright!!! :lol:

Good lookin' cheese Bruce. I think you have gotten the smoke meister ranking. I don't know if I can leave the ones alone that I vac sealed and put in the fridge to rest for a couple of months...ya have to eat, ya know.

Did a fatty yesterday, with some shredded smoked cheddar (twice smoked cheese will be interesting) along with some sauteed onions, garlic, and mushrooms. And then put on some fried Italian sausage and some black olives.

Also put on a couple of slabs of ribs and the rest of the Italian sausage. I had put a new expanded metal rack that I made in the fire box and I think it may be too high...had a ton of problem getting the heat up, but it worked out okay. Also had some nasty wind to deal with.

The sausage is done.

I think the fatty is done...ribs need a bit longer.

Done.

Looks like the ribs are crackin' good.

Pretty decent smoke ring on the ribs. The baked beans and 'tater salad was good also.

Some of the weather I had to jack with.

Since I had plenty of ribs, I deboned some of them and am going to pour the rib juice I saved over them tomorrow, along with some BBQ sauce, and throw them back on the smoker for some pseudo burnt ends.

Since I had plenty of ribs, I deboned some of them and am going to pour the rib juice I saved over them tomorrow, along with some BBQ sauce, and throw them back on the smoker for some pseudo burnt ends.

The rib ends are a sweet idea, let us know how they turn out!

The rib ends are a sweet idea, let us know how they turn out!
I've never had any leftovers but may have to smoke some extra next time, to see what all the Ribs Ends hype is all about.

Every time I see leftover ribs or ends diced, sauced and twice cooked in sauce....I'm drooling over the pics. They always look like candied pork ribs.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Did the "rib ends" yesterday.

Drizzled with the juice from the ribs and slathered with BBQ sauce. I usually use my homemade but used Stubb's original this time.

Built a fire with lump charcoal and put on a couple of chunks of bagged hickory. Got some seasoned limbs from one of my hickory trees on the smoker shelf to go on in a bit.

The hickory tree is conveniently located close to the smokers. :001_smile

And my little assistant...future pit meister. Although her attention does wander at times.

I think we are done. I also put on some pear limbs that came down during a major ice storm about a year and a half ago. Man candy!!!

I've been away from the forum for a long time since getting a job that keeps me busy enough that I don't have the time to sit here and lurk all day. I can't believe it's been seven years since the original thread, which got me interested in BBQ. I also can't believe it's been that long and I have yet to try making it myself.

Top Bottom