What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VII- BBQ at the B&B 2015

10 lb Spiral cut ham, bone in, homemade rub and glaze, smoked for about 5 hrs over lump & cherry (I ran out of apple).

It's our first one, so just learning how to do them. I pulled it off at 140* but that might be a bit high for a smoked ham, we'll see.

Off the grill and resting. From what I can see and sampled a few times, it turned out great.

$IMG_20150701_161120 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
That's just mean Bruce LOL!!

I like the spiral hams because you can get some smoke in between those cuts for better flavor.

That's just mean Bruce LOL!!

I like the spiral hams because you can get some smoke in between those cuts for better flavor.

That's good to know. When I was spritzing it and glazing it, I made sure to allow some of the Brown Sugar, Honey, 100% Maple Syrup, Tbsp of Bourbon and spices to drip down in between the folds.

Hey!!! Where's the Pork?

I'll post follow up pics once I remove it from the cooler. My wife is twice baking some potatoes as I type.

Last edited:
That's good to know. When I was spritzing it and glazing it, I made sure to allow some of the Brown Sugar, Honey, Alcohol (Tbsp of Bourbon as we had in the pantry) and spices to drip down in between the folds.

I'll post follow up pics once I remove it from the cooler.

I left all of that glaze stuff off, and just smoked it like a regular piece of meat with some rub.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That looks just terrible Bruce...just absolutely terrible.

You need to vac seal it, freeze it, then send it to me in an insulated cooler with ice packs in it for proper disposal.

The Spiral Cut sure makes for nice presentation.

Nice work, Bruce. Great photography too :thumbup1:.

I spent the day cooking on the BGE. I did some pork side ribs, low and slow for 4 hours over some hickory and cherrywood. Then grilled about ten pounds of wings and finally some corn on the cob. No pics, unfortunately. Lots of family over and when I wasn't tending to the grill, I was making drinks, etc.

Happy Canada Day to everyone! We also celebrate the 4th of July where I live. That'll be another big bbq day :thumbup:.

I'm going to have to try that recipe sometime. Much better than that lousy packet you get with the ham.

Everywhere I read said "THROW IT OUT". My inlaws buy the bone in ham from Costco and have tried the spiral and said it tasted funny...ours did not, so I think it may be that packet glaze.

Our Ham is done. Extras have been freezer wrapped for my folks, leftovers for us and packed lunches for tomorrow. All in all, a good meal but I know it will improve next time. I overshot the temp and probably could have pulled it off at 120* as it's already cooked and there would have been enough smoke at that point and probably a bit moister..lesson learned.

The center pieces were juicy, smokey and delicious. Some of the outer pieces were just as tasty, but more back bacon like with not as much moisture. It was so large there was plenty of whatever for whoever wanted from certain pieces, so it was fine in the end.

I'm glad I did it and will definitely do another one in the future. The plated pic was horrible indoors, so just Ham shots today.

Rubbed and Ready:
$IMG_20150701_114039 (Large).jpg

Glaze applied:
$IMG_20150701_160409 (Large).jpg

Gratuitous dog in the background shot...she got plenty of ham tonight:
$IMG_20150701_160733 (Large).jpg

Less then 1/2 the leftovers:
$IMG_20150701_172424 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom