What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VII- BBQ at the B&B 2015

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I need to try doing a spathcock chicken on the grill. I have never gotten chicken on the grill correct. It is always either undercooked or overcooked and burned.

It was 12º here last night so I felt it was only appropriate I do chicken on the grille. I have an infrared burner in the top for the rotisserie. Used my AMPS for some smoke. Comes out great every time.

-20 outside, so lots of smoke from my Ceramic today

Baby Backs and Potatoes just went on.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1421006110135.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1421006110135.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 182
Cheap chuck steaks for lunch. It warmed up enough it was a good day to grill.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1421010133770.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1421010133770.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 182
Bruce, will you keep those potatoes on the entire time the ribs are on? I've not done potatoes slow and low before.

Today was the first day in two weeks that I would have even considered grilling/smoking, unfortunately I didn't plan ahead and take something out of the freezer.

Cheap chuck steaks for lunch. It warmed up enough it was a good day to grill.
That's one think I need to start doing on weekend....steak for lunch.

They look awesome.

Bruce, will you keep those potatoes on the entire time the ribs are on? I've not done potatoes slow and low before...

That was the plan. They seem crispy on outside, tender to the touch. We have done them before but never the entire time, they have smoke from poking them with a fork and just a bit of extra flavor.

About 15min from plating, I'll let you know how they are after supper.

Well Bob, the potatoes were excellent. They had a nice smokey flavour, crispy skin and soft inside. I threw them on for 4hrs while the ribs cooked, on the top rack.

ibs were dry rubbed with the Magic Dust recipe I had found last year, then basted in the last hour with Maple BBQ and Honey. Cooked indirect at 225-250 for 4 hours total. They were pull off the bone, but not fall off the bone, just the way I like them

Corn was pan fried in a small Lodge skillet with some butter and pepper, just enough to caramelize them, give them some colour and was much better then steaming or microwaving.

One of the best all around meals I have made in a long time. Everyone enjoyed it.

3 Sauce, 1 No-Sauce:
$IMG_20150111_164814 (Large).jpg

Plated:
$IMG_20150111_172050 (Large).jpg

Close Up:
$IMG_20150111_172058 (Large).jpg

Frying Corn:
$IMG_20150111_171654 (Large).jpg

Aftermath:
$IMG_20150111_173534 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Well Bob, the potatoes were excellent. They had a nice smokey flavour, crispy skin and soft inside. I threw them on for 4hrs while the ribs cooked, on the top rack.

ibs were dry rubbed with the Magic Dust recipe I had found last year, then basted in the last hour with Maple BBQ and Honey. Cooked indirect at 225-250 for 4 hours total. They were pull off the bone, but not fall off the bone, just the way I like them

Corn was pan fried in a small Lodge skillet with some butter and pepper, just enough to caramelize them, give them some colour and was much better then steaming or microwaving.

One of the best all around meals I have made in a long time. Everyone enjoyed it.

3 Sauce, 1 No-Sauce:
View attachment 539136

Plated:
View attachment 539138

Smoke Ring:
View attachment 539139

Frying Corn:
View attachment 539137

Aftermath:
View attachment 539140

Looks fantastic! I'm cursing myself for not planning ahead to grill something today. Thanks for the info on the potatoes, definately going to try that soon, they sound exactly how I like them, with the added bonus of delicious smoky goodness. Well done.

Looks fantastic! I'm cursing myself for not planning ahead to grill something today. Thanks for the info on the potatoes, definately going to try that soon, they sound exactly how I like them, with the added bonus of delicious smoky goodness. Well done.

Thanks, it was a fun Sunday afternoon.

I forgot to add the following info on the potatoes: There were on the smaller side compared to some of the massive softball sized ones that come in the bags, I tossed them in a bowl with EVOO, Sea Salt & Pepper, the fork poked each of them about 4 times before tossing them on the grill.

Bruce's meal looked so good last night that I promptly took a couple of racks of ribs out of the freezer to throw on the smoker today. I'm doing the potatoes too, and maybe even the corn. Just threw the ribs and taters on.

View attachment 539376

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 158
Here's the rig and some carne.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 158
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg