What's new

Anyone use an Artisan Witch hazel?

This is an interesting thread and one I am delighted to add my 2 cents to it because everything I know about the was taught me by Sue Moore.

Witch hazel, rose water and all other aromatic waters are as KJ said hydrosols. These are by-products of the extraction process that removes oils and other elements from organic matter. Rose or lavender water is the leftovers from extracting rose oil/lavender oil from rose/lavender plants.

The oils are very expensive and valuable so the waters became an inexpensive alternative product, rose water is used in some near east cuisines.

Witch hazel is a small tree or shrub sometimes called the walking stick tree for its crazy growth patterns, To process the plant is heated to above boiling to remove the terpins and oils from the plant, the hydrosols left over are what is sold as witch hazel.. Aspirin is extracted the same way from white willow bark.

I suspect the alcohol requirement is one made up by some un-elected department in some huge rule making facility in DC.

I would understand that if they were calling it aftershave or something- either way I don't think you can get a "Certified Organic" Tree that is then tracked into what can only be called an industrial process.

Anyway hope you enjoy your shaves!

I've used drug store witch hazel, and I've used Thayer's.
Medicated Superhazel ain't nothin to #### with!!!
I'll never go back to the cheap stuff.

proxy.php

Top Bottom