What's new

Tobacquisitions for January 2015

The meerschaum eagle was not the one in the photograph. It had a more bent, plain-colored translucent non-marbled stem (and some differences at the bowl that I don't mind). The seller is working with me on it.

Seller sent me a lineup photo of available compatible stems and I chose one. It's not exactly what I wanted but it's good enough. It's marbled nicely, bent less than the one I received (and more like the one I ordered), green instead of the blue that I wanted, and has no button formed at the end (it's just the material cut-off). That'll do, pig, that'll do. Photos show both stems:

proxy.php

proxy.php

William Demuth Company Milano carved head, unsmoked. I wasn't going to bid on this one but at the end there were zero bids, it was cheap enough with free shipping, and it is pretty interesting, and seems like it might have an interesting history for me to dig up.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I also received this one today. It really is unsmoked. It has one hell of a stinger, the thing goes all the way to the bowl where it ends in a spoon shape. It is easily removed of course, and with its stepped fit it looks like it will fit other stems -- including those equipped for a 6mm filter.

Chamber with the stinger showing:

proxy.php

Chamber without stinger inside it:

proxy.php

Whole thing disassembled:

proxy.php

Got this at an antique shop--the acrylic stem was too amazing to let go. My problem now is it needs a good cleaning. It's gunky. And, as some may know, I ruined the finish on my other pipe. So is there a hobyist on here that does pipe restoration? If not, can anyone recommend somebody? I have three pipes in need of some work.

proxy.php

Quite a haul today.......first a Savinelli Hercules 111 Ex. Was sold as an estate pipe and although it was a little dusty and the stem was pretty oxidized, this pipe has never been smoked and after a little clean & polish, it really is a new pipe. I am very pleased....

Also got another little treat in the mail.......

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Upside: my P&C order got here a day earlier than I expected. Viking Copenhage sandblast, and free tin of Odin's Wind.

$IMAG1932.jpg

Downside: that's not the pipe I ordered. I ordered a straight ball, and got this. Now I have to shoot an e-mail to customer service and see what we can figure out. The problem is that I'm not sure I want to return it. The only thing against this pipe is that it's the wrong shape. In its favor are the facts that it's a nice pipe, and it's here. I guess I'll see if they can find the right one, and exchange this one if they do. Sucks that I can't smoke it, though.

:thumbup1: Dang those look delicious. I've tried Penzance (unicorn poop) once, but it was too early in my pipesmoking life to appreciate it.

I posted these pics in another thread but wanted to include them here as well. Excited about my plunge into cigars. Got this from Cigars International
$20150116_201819.jpg
15 count Herf-a-dor

$20150116_201840.jpg
Whitetail Glasstop Humidor Combo with 10 Cigars
$20150116_202059.jpg
20 count Dominican Grab-bag
15 count 90+ Rated Nicaraguan Seconds
Ten that came with the Humidor
and a free Rockwell torch lighter for my order being over (just barely) $99

Also used some coupons I received in the mail at a local B&M to pick up a pouch of Captain Black Royal and a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic for $2.84 total. A buck a piece plus the tax on the original price. Heck of a deal.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Earlier this week, I received an envelope of awesome from Price- some Escudo from 2005 and some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Naval Flake from 2008. Thanks, Price- I haven't tried the LNF yet, but the Escudo is exceptional. I think I am going to have to buy some and put it up for a while.

Today I received another envelope of awesome, this time from alpster. It contained Esoterica Stonehaven and Margate, Orlik Golden Sliced, SG Full Virginia Flake, Balkan Sobranie, McClellan Syria Super Balkan, GL Pease Odyssey , and Dunhill Flake. Looks like I have some smoking to do- thanks Ronnie.

Attachments

• $20150124_150319.jpg
    $20150124_150319.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 121

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Picked up a super clean Comoy's Straw Matt billiard from the 70s/80s. Great smoker.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422232958.575068.jpg

Hirsute, awesome Straw Matt billiard.. that grain looks like billowing smoke!

So far, so good, on the not-buying-tobacco front, but I'm going to have to stop looking at pipe auctions! I'm glad I did this time, so that these three Comoy's-made beauties remain together and local. All three from the same collection, and all three from Leonard's in Portland.. a store that closed when I was a kid, but was a legendary pipe and tobacco shop here in Portland. The bulldog is branded as a Comoy's pipe, but is stamped "Leonard Portland" on the bottom side of the shank. It's shape 331c, which is a 1/8 bent squat bulldog on the Comoy's shape chart. The one in the middle is branded "Leonard Portland - Selected Straight Grain". It doesn't have a shape code stamped in it, but I've found it on the chart.. No. 442, a 1/4 bent square shank Dublin. The one in back is also stamped "Leonard Portland - Selected Straight Grain", and has shape code 309 stamped on the shank, a Liverpool. The bulldog is a 50's pipe, but I believe the other 2 are pre WWII, since they have the circular "Made in England" stamping. These are very well taken care of pipes that look like they haven't been smoked in a long time. They need some love, but they should clean up really well.

$_MG_5071.jpg

Hirsute, awesome Straw Matt billiard.. that grain looks like billowing smoke!

So far, so good, on the not-buying-tobacco front, but I'm going to have to stop looking at pipe auctions! I'm glad I did this time, so that these three Comoy's-made beauties remain together and local. All three from the same collection, and all three from Leonard's in Portland.. a store that closed when I was a kid, but was a legendary pipe and tobacco shop here in Portland. The bulldog is branded as a Comoy's pipe, but is stamped "Leonard Portland" on the bottom side of the shank. It's shape 331c, which is a 1/8 bent squat bulldog on the Comoy's shape chart. The one in the middle is branded "Leonard Portland - Selected Straight Grain". It doesn't have a shape code stamped in it, but I've found it on the chart.. No. 442, a 1/4 bent square shank Dublin. The one in back is also stamped "Leonard Portland - Selected Straight Grain", and has shape code 309 stamped on the shank, a Liverpool. The bulldog is a 50's pipe, but I believe the other 2 are pre WWII, since they have the circular "Made in England" stamping. These are very well taken care of pipes that look like they haven't been smoked in a long time. They need some love, but they should clean up really well.

View attachment 543866

Awesome score! They look great. Make sure you post pics after you shine em up.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Last week I got a Bjarne Viking Copenhagen Sandblast from P&C, but I had to return it because it wasn't the one I wanted. Today I received the replacement.

$IMAG1976.jpg

Look familiar? That's the same one I sent back. Since I was having major regrets about sending the other one back, I'm just going to hang on to this one. I've already called P&C and let them know their pictures are screwed up, so hopefully they can avoid any more confusion.

Look familiar? That's the same one I sent back. Since I was having major regrets about sending the other one back, I'm just going to hang on to this one. I've already called P&C and let them know their pictures are screwed up, so hopefully they can avoid any more confusion.

Its hilarious that they repeated the mistake, but at least the pipe is a winner. Good for you.

Top Bottom