What's new

Mongoose maiden voyage

Maiden SOTD with my newborn polished head Mongoose, Feather Pro blade and Bomber handle. WSP Rustic Mahogany soap, lathered in a GP scuttle with our own StudioZ42 brush. Followed by alum block, witch hazel splash, Elizabeth Taylor Passion after shave (been using this since the 1980's and it always gets noticed... in a good way).

I can't really overstate how nice this shave was. The mahogany soap is delicious, I really want to eat something that has that scent. There was plenty of slick cushiony lather. The Mongoose was everything I expected from a well balanced razor that holds the Feather blade very securely. I had no trouble finding "the angles" that worked for me. Did a 3 pass shave, just being fussy, and little touch ups. I have a light touch, and there was no irritation at all, no nicks, no blade chatter, it simply cut where I pointed it. First pass was on almost a week's growth, and the razor was pretty quiet. However, on the subesquent passes there was nice audible feedback.

I have both the folding and the straight handled Feather SS razors, and know how nicely they perform. The Mongoose does their blades very proud, and the ergonomics are great. Today's shave was easily BBS all the way around, and that's quite an endorsement for a very first use.

$sotd_4527b.jpg

It is a great razor. You owning 2 other Feather razors must be very familiar with these blades. What blade do you prefer? I have tried the Feather Pro, Feather Pro Guard, and the KAI Mild. I cannot feel a difference in any of them. What say you?

So far, in the straights I have tried the Pro and the Pro Guard. I prefer the Pro. I recently acquired packs of Super and Light blades, but haven't tried them yet. The Light blades are not compatible with the Mongoose.

Congrats on the shave. Sounds luxurious. What is the scent on the mahogony soap? I must confess that I have never had a soap that I wanted to eat.

I can't quite describe it other than perhaps 'savory' and warm.
the WSP web site says "Mahogany accented with Italian bergamot, apple wood, Tonka bean, patchouli, cedar wood, oak moss, cardamom, vanilla bourbon and allspice."

Awesome, I can't wait for my pair to arrive. I have two boys, and these will be passed down to them. Perhaps their sister will get one for her family as well. I've been shaving with the Feather SS folder and a CJB. The only blades I've used are the Professionals. I want to do the sabbatical and want to make sure I get right blades before I buy a box of ten.

Great pic, and I'll have to look at your brushes -- that one's really nice.
So far I like the Feather Pro blades with the Mongoose (haven't tried any guards yet). But I also like the others (Feather Super for a more aggressive shave, and Kai Milds are good too).

Top Bottom