What's new

Favorite Amari/Amari-based Drinks?

I must admit that I am absolutely obsessed with Italian amari. The complexity and variations in these spirits are amazing.

The first amaro I ever tried was Montenegro, and I still love it to this day. I've been lucky to find a few others that I really enjoy as well, including Cynar, Averna, and Gran Clasico.

However, I know that there is still so much more to try! Do people have recommendations on what to try - I'm especially interested in hard to find products of course.

Also, I should note, I'm hoping that this thread becomes something of an education on amari, so if people have knowldege to share, please do so! I find that most guests that come to my house are completely unaware of amari but tend to like them when introduced. So if it has the effect of introducing the spirit to others, that would be excellent.

I use Averna in place of sweet vermouth to make black Manhattans.

Ramazzotti is nice with a bit of a licorice hint. Nardini's Amaro Bassano is sublime, but unnecessarily good for mixing. Lesser amaros servce that role better.

Montenegro is my favorite--nothing, so far, comes close. I take it neat. It also works will with gin or jenever, martini style. Cynar is quite terrible by itself, in my opinion, but adds a great flavor to cocktails.

Nonino is too sweet, and not "amaro"/bitter enough, but also does wonders in cocktails. Try it with whisky and bitters, no sugar needed.

I prefer Bigallet China China to Ramazzotti and Averna, but it's a similar style.

If you're ready for something intensely bitter and medicinal, try fernet. Also can be used as a bittering agent in any cocktail you need it. Fantastic in an old fashioned.

There are also some good German amari, Killepitsch being my favorite.

I like Fernet and club soda.

One of my favorite drinks is called a Sardinian Iced Tea. It's Meletti amaro, proseco, and lime juice. They serve it at one of Mario Batali's restaurants in nyc.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! There's a few in here that I've been meaning to try (Nardini, Meletti) and some that I hadn't heard of but will now investigate (Bigallet, German amari).

I will say that I am not a big fan of fernet, at least based on Fernet Branca. I've been meaning to get my hands on Luxardo's fernet at some point to see if another rendition catches my fancy.

Vlad, I have to agree that Montenegro takes the cake for me (so far). My first and favorite.

I read something about hefty IBU in beer and our initial reaction to that bitterness, which I think can be seen in Fernet. The argument was that the palate needs time -- multiple experiences -- to acclimate to bitter drinks and food. Our body is hard wired to reject bitter foods, but after multiple experiences bitterness is accepted and even sought. In my experience this is true. It took me a few tries, but now I love fernet.

Last edited:
... Nardini ...

They make a Fernet, too. I'm happy to find their amaro and that in just one place.

Fernet Branca... I need some time getting my palette used to that taste explosion.

Yeah, amaro has a firm place in my Universe. It's the first thing I reach for after a heavy meal.

I read something about hefty IBU in beer and our initial reaction to that bitterness, which I think can be seen in Fernet. The argument was that the palate needs time -- multiple experiences -- to acclimate to bitter drinks and food. Our body is hard wired to reject bitter foods, but after multiple experiences bitterness is accepted and even sought. In my experience this is true. It took me a few tries, but now I love fernet.

Yes that makes sense. With Fernet, I don't think it's purely the bitterness for me, because I love Campari and other strongly bitter liquors. I will admit though that perhaps I have not given it the due time. I'll go back to Fernet and give it a try again!

They make a Fernet, too. I'm happy to find their amaro and that in just one place.

Fernet Branca... I need some time getting my palette used to that taste explosion.

Yeah, amaro has a firm place in my Universe. It's the first thing I reach for after a heavy meal.

I didn't know that Nardini had a Fernet. Based on my pledge above, maybe I'll seek it out!

I'm lucky that the liquor store I frequent always has the Nardini Amaro - despite this, I've passed on it each time to date in favor of others! I think that I will end that trend next time I'm there.

Montenegro is also my favorite. Others you should definitely try are Meletti(as you said), Lucano, CioCiaro & Braulio. Quick story about Meletti.. When I tried it I really liked it. So I was reading up on it online. On their website(and bottle) they say how it is one of Italy's favorite drinks. I asked my lady if she has ever heard of it (she's from Italy) she told me no. So I started joking with her about how she doesn't know what shes talking about and what not. Then I said when we go over there I bet you I will find it. When we went to Italy every time we walked by a bar(cafe) I peeked inside to see if they had it. No luck. And they are everywhere in Italy. We even asked a few places if they've even heard of it they said ..no! Needless to say I lost the bet. But it is still a good amaro. Cheers!

Last edited:
If you like fernets maybe try Unicum. I don't know if its actually a fernet but i remember it being biter when i tried it.

Fantastic, slew of new boozes and cocktails I'm now itching to try.

This site continues to spark acquisition disorders.

I got a taste for Fernet after my college roommate came back from his study abroad in Argentina. Apparently its very popular there.

I was reading that outside of Italy the two major consumers of Fernet Branca are Argentina and San Francisco. I can vouch for San Francisco, it's in every bar and usually have drink specials for it.

Plenty to choose from...

Attachments

• $amaro (Lucano).jpg
    $amaro (Lucano).jpg
    99 KB · Views: 25
This thread made me want to pick up another bottle of Fernet Branca, but the guys at my local liquor store had no clue what I was talking about...They suggested I look in Asheville, the hippie/trendy city 20 minutes down the road.

This thread made me want to pick up another bottle of Fernet Branca, but the guys at my local liquor store had no clue what I was talking about...They suggested I look in Asheville, the hippie/trendy city 20 minutes down the road.

Reminds me of a quest I had a year and a half ago in KC-MO, went from bar to bar looking for my favorite "restorative" came across the Drum Room, the only place that had it, and spent the rest of that day (my birthday) drinking and chatting with the bartender, a very knowledgeable "mixologist". The Fernet Brance allowed my birthday celebration which started the night before to continue unfettered! (and I was on business at a conference!)

Now, back to Amari..love them and wish I had a collection like Malooccio...I just picked up Cardamaro tonight, can't wait to try it, heard nothing but good.

Currently have in my cabinet: Frenet Branca, Ramazotti, Montenegro, and just finished Nonino, I have Strga too, but not sure if that is an Amari or not.

And I always keep Punt e Mes, which, please correct me if I am wrong is a blend of Vermouth and Amaro. Makes the best Manhattans, Negronis and Boulvardiers.

Top Bottom