What's new

Give yourself a nice haircut

I've been giving myself my own haircut the last 2-3 years. Just take the old wahl clipper, #1 guard, adjust it half way up, and shave. The really challenging thing I have yet to master is lining my neck up so its even and cleaning it up. That involves double mirrors and a lot of practice.

Me too. I don't put a line in the back and just make it tapered which is easy to do with a Wahl without a comb guide. A line which in the U.K. we used to call a "Boston" or "Square Neck" is old hat these days anyway.

I just got a long side part for the summer (#6 guard). I am considering purchasing a Flowbee and a set of clippers, because I'm tired of paying for haircuts. My hair grows fast. Next winter I will probably let it grow out again.

I've given myself haircuts before and the results were mediocre. I think the flowbee will help. From what I've heard, having someone else with a set of sheers is vital, as it is hard to do certain parts yourself.

I just got a long side part for the summer (#6 guard). I am considering purchasing a Flowbee and a set of clippers, because I'm tired of paying for haircuts. My hair grows fast. Next winter I will probably let it grow out again.
A co-worker has been using a Flowbee for most of his adult life, and I have to admit, he gets good results with it.

He also has a full beard, and he complains from time to time because the whiskers get caught in the collar of his shirt. I've been trying to convince him to shave it off and get a tattoo of a beard in its place, but he seems resistant to that idea.

Have been trimming my hair for about two years. I have a cordless trimmer with adjustable length settings. I cut the sides and back about 1/8 inch, the top about 1/4 inch. I blend the peak about 3/16. I leave a little point at the front center about 3/8. I then trimm the outlines 1/16 inch, and then razor the neckline. Takes about ten minutes. I cut my hair weekly. Wife says my old barber could not do a better job. I apply Jeris hair tonic without oil daily. My hair has a nice shiny luster using the tonic. A good tonic is a MUST if you want your hair to look its' best.

I don't think I'm coordinated enough to cut my own hair, but I do cut my son's. A few times a year I'll take him to a barber, but in-between those cuts I give him a trim with the clippers. In the summertime he just likes a buzz anyway, and that's easy.

My Wahl clippers have paid for themselves many times over. Still, I've seriously contemplated picking up an Oster 76.

I've been doing my own cuts for the past year or two now. Been saving $$$ after tallying up how many times I'd would have normally gone.

I decided to go with a Robocut. It'll take a week or so to get here. I did trim my own bangs today and my hair looks a lot better. Now hair tonic actually holds my hair in place, despite the wavy hair.

Last edited:
Well I keep getting disappointed whenever I go to the barber, and I have cut my son's hair with passable results. I feel like trying to cut my own now!

This is what works for me.

When I decided to quit wearing my hair long I stood in front of the mirror and cut it until I was satisfied with the length. That was fifteen years ago and I’ve been cutting it ever since. Doing the back is tricky, it’s hard to get used to using two mirrors.

When I walk by a mirror I cut what I see sticking out. Every few weeks I do a major cut to even out the length.

Attachments

• $3500.jpg
    $3500.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 62
Top Bottom