What's new

2015 DEvette passaround

Believe it or not, many devette aficionados use a steep angle, including moi. Admittedly, in really tricky places, I go shallow to prevent skipping, nicks, etc.

I did manage to get one shave. Despite being sleep-deprived, more stressed than I've been in years, and hurried, I actually got a great shave. Barely any pink lather, I often get more from a regular DE when hurrying or going for BBS. I was hoping to get another shave in tonight but I don't think that's in the cards.

Ok, I managed to squeeze in a shave tonight. Last shave I started shallow angle and then remembered to try steep angle, but this time I remembered right from the start. Worked great WTG, but ATG needed shallow angle to avoid skipping.

Anyway, I probably could have done WTG and XTG and gotten a better shave than a regular DE with 3-4 passes + buffing + touch-up. After the second pass (ATG cheeks, XTG neck) I had a better shave than I've had in a long time. Sweet.

Ok, I managed to squeeze in a shave tonight. Last shave I started shallow angle and then remembered to try steep angle, but this time I remembered right from the start. Worked great WTG, but ATG needed shallow angle to avoid skipping.

Anyway, I probably could have done WTG and XTG and gotten a better shave than a regular DE with 3-4 passes + buffing + touch-up. After the second pass (ATG cheeks, XTG neck) I had a better shave than I've had in a long time. Sweet.

Sounds successful to me. FWIW, I also have trouble maintaining the steep angle on XTG passes. If I experience any skipping at all, I use a shallower angle.

Glad to see that this passaround still has legs. I started devette shaving in January and am still going strong -- in fact, it's the only type of razor I use now. I experienced a good bit of blood-letting at first -- every false move was duly punished. It took a good four to six months for it to become second nature. I say this to put the experience into perspective for those of you who've tried the devette once or twice and then passed it on. The best you can get in such a short time is a glimpse of the possibilities. If you feel any affinity for it at all, get one of your one and stick with it for a while. As with any other mode of shaving, it only gets better with time. I've never experienced a closer, more efficient shave than with the devette.

Good timing bumping this thread, I got another shave with it this morning. So far I'm up to 3 shaves. I used a Personna blue, a Derby Extra, and a Dorco (maybe ST-300?). I think I actually got the best shave yet from it with the Dorco today...though that's likely as much about practice as it is about blade.

I've had a few more shaves with it and am ready to send it on down the line. Sid200799, PM your address, as it appears you are next in line. If I've missed someone, sorry, let me know.

Final report: Last night's shave was with a Derby Extra blade and Williams soap. It's been a little while since I've used Williams. Man, its reputation as the king of slickness is well-deserved, that stuff is crazy slick. That Derby Extra is perfect for this purpose. I've developed a pattern of starting with steep angle and switching to shallow for difficult spots and areas that skip and it has worked well. I got a good shave with no bloodshed. I'll definitely consider cutting one bar off of my RiMei or ordering another RiMei to hack.

Never did hear back from Sid so I've continued shaving with it. The Derby Extra was getting dull and I don't have a lot of them so I put the Dorco back on it last night...and it bit me pretty bad. Between my lip and my chin, that spot is usually not a problem though the hairs there seem more tough in a rubbery way than the more stiff steel wire like hair everywhere else. I felt it bite and rip the skin right up. It bled continuously, I couldn't get it to stop with lots of cold water, styptic pencil, alum block, and even alcohol aftershave. None of it stung at all, which was weird; I would expect the alum and alcohol to sting. I finally plugged it up with some Neosporin and a band-aid, then an hour later I was able to take off the band-aid and it was ok.

Chaddy187, I guess you're up.

Top Bottom