What's new

2015 DEvette passaround

Several of us have been having a lot of fun with a type of DE razor that mjclark has dubbed the "devette" due to its similarity to a shavette. More details about the DEvette can be found HERE.

I have modified a Chinese 3-piece razor by cutting off the guard bar and then grinding down the struts (sadly, the edges are still not smooth).

The rules:

1) Sign up by posting in this thread.
2) Keep the razor for a maximum of 7 days. If you can't do this, please don't join.
3) PM the next person on the list and then mail the DEvette to them.
4) Agree never to mail the razor back to its original owner (me).
5) Do not blame me if this monstrosity hurts you. It is dangerous.
6) When loaded, never rest the razor on the blade edge (there is no guard).
7) Have fun, but be very careful (see #5).
8) CONUS only. The value of this devette is much lower than the cost of international postage.

Because the baseplate appears to be made out of zamak, it will start to fall apart before too long. After all, by cutting off the guard bars, I have breached the plating and exposed the bare zamak. I will coat it with something, but that will not help for long. So, this passaround is not going to be one of those epic 2 year journeys.

Assuming I get at least one volunteer, I will mail it out on 12/31/14. The first person gets a free bottle of Nivea Sensitive ASB and some blades.

Who's up for the DEvette challenge?

$IMG_0623[1].jpg

Great work with the passaround Dr!

These devettes give an absolutely astonishing shave - super efficient and incredibly comfortable, the power of a shavette with the manouverability of a safety razor.

If you have reasonable confidence in your technique this is definitely worth a try.

Prepare to be amazed!

Wooo hooo! Not in though, I've got my own devette.

The shave is indeed very efficient (but a bit harsh - at least based on my first experience). I'll need to experiment more and probably make another devette.

Good luck, gentlemen!

proxy.php

Wooo hooo! Not in though, I've got my own devette.

The shave is indeed very efficient (but a bit harsh - at least based on my first experience). I'll need to experiment more and probably make another devette.

Good luck, gentlemen!

proxy.php

Edgar, you never cease to amaze! Who knew, in addition to your other talents, that you are also a rapper?!:001_cool:

i would like to be in, sounds like a great way to save money on ground beef, I'll end up with ground Yaser instead :lol:

The three stooges entrants to this passaround are:

imatabor
Daltongang
Alexface

Anyone else? It really is not that scary.

The box includes a modified Weishi 3-piece DEvette razor, 10 random blades, and a bottle of Nivea ASB. Because he is first on the list, Mr. Tabor gets to keep the ASB and any of the blades that he wants.

Yesterday, I tried out the Weishi DEvette for myself. It is just as good as the Tech DEvette and possibly even a bit better insofar as its cap corners are less likely to dig into your face. While MJ claims that a steep angle works with a DEvette, I would recommend using a very shallow angle at first and proceeding with caution: slow, gentle, short strokes.
Most of all, absolutely NO PRESSURE.

Since Mr. Tabor has shavette experience (unlike me), he should have no trouble with the DEvette, but only time will tell ...

There's nothing to worry about.

It's like using a shavette, except its maneuverability is much better.

It might be a bit of a harsh shave (and this part actually surprised me because it felt harsher than a real shavette shave - I'll have to figure out why, the answer might be a different devette, different blades ... or something else), but with proper technique there's nothing to fear.

There's nothing to worry about.

It's like using a shavette, except its maneuverability is much better.
...with proper technique there's nothing to fear.
+1
The worst that happens is that you learn to shave like you've never shaved before, and the best is that you get a shave beyond compare :)

And I agree only try the steep angle when you're confident with the devette but it does work very very well.

Dr and the Stooges, I salute you and your spirit of adventure!

imatabor
Daltongang
Alexface

Anyone else? It really is not that scary.

The box includes a modified Weishi 3-piece DEvette razor, 10 random blades, and a bottle of Nivea ASB. Because he is first on the list, Mr. Tabor gets to keep the ASB and any of the blades that he wants.

Yesterday, I tried out the Weishi DEvette for myself. It is just as good as the Tech DEvette and possibly even a bit better insofar as its cap corners are less likely to dig into your face. While MJ claims that a steep angle works with a DEvette, I would recommend using a very shallow angle at first and proceeding with caution: slow, gentle, short strokes.
Most of all, absolutely NO PRESSURE.

Since Mr. Tabor has shavette experience (unlike me), he should have no trouble with the DEvette, but only time will tell ...
haha i want to join in on the fun as well, incase you misunderstood my above post

imatabor
Daltongang
Alexface

haha i want to join in on the fun as well, incase you misunderstood my above post

I did misunderstand your post! Now we are up to four. Musketeers?
BTW, Yaser, I see you live in the great state of Michigan, which is one of my former residences. That state seems to be attracting quite a lot of attention on sports news websites today ...

imatabor
Daltongang
Alexface
Yaser

Top Bottom