What's new

Ever-Ready 1912 made in the USA; are all 1912's the same?

Good morning/evening/afternoon felllow bbers,
hope you all had a love Christmas this year!
I received this Ever-Ready 1912 in a box and it stinks, its tatty but looks lovely I think.
Anyways, I picked up my first SE razor a fewwedks back and losted about it, that was an Ever-Read 1912 also butt made in England. It got me thinking are all 1912 razors the same in terms of their shaving capabilities? Obviously the 1912 is a patent so in theory they all should but I just thought I would ask you guys on your opinion and knowledge.
$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

There are some minor differences over the years of production in the cap profile, but my experience is that these al shave the same - very well. That is a nice razor and box. Congrats on the score. Get a blade and shave away!

There are some minor differences over the years of production in the cap profile, but my experience is that these al shave the same - very well. That is a nice razor and box. Congrats on the score. Get a blade and shave away!

Ah I will compare caps and see if I can notice a difference.
Will shave with it once I have Scrubbed amd polished it.

Really, just three major changes in its lifetime:

Curved Cap - 1912 up to about 1919, some beyond
Flat Cap - 1919 onwards (same wide comb as pre-1919)
Shaped Comb - 1930 onwards (corners of comb shaped in - US only)

Handles can be regular, short or round, some round ones containing a stropper, late British made of lightweight aluminium.

You'll find the "1912" as GEM, Ever Ready, Star, Radio and Oxford.

Before spidey9 turns up asking "is that one of those England only razors?" ... yes, I think it is:

proxy.php

Radio remains a mystery.

Really, just three major changes in its lifetime:

Curved Cap - 1912 up to about 1919, some beyond
Flat Cap - 1919 onwards (same wide comb as pre-1919)
Shaped Comb - 1930 onwards (corners of comb shaped in - US only)

Handles can be regular, short or round, some round ones containing a stropper, late British made of lightweight aluminium.

You'll find the "1912" as GEM, Ever Ready, Star, Radio and Oxford.

Before spidey9 turns up asking "is that one of those England only razors?" ... yes, I think it is:

proxy.php

Radio remains a mystery.

:lol: Wow, you read my mind. Scary.

While this is a good way of broadly categorizing the main design changes over the history of the 1912, there are exceptions (I have a 1925 low profile Gem with a curved cap) and numerous lesser variations (the Damaskeene and Gem Jr, to name just a couple).

Then there is the inexplicable move by American Safety Razor in 1930 when the 1912 was re-introduced as "The Improved Ever-Ready Razor."

What, if any, effect that these model variations have on the actual shave will, of course, be debated endlessly on forums such as this one. :thumbup1:

--Bob

Cheers pjgh and spidey9. I shall check the subtle differences, not sure if thereare any other than the handle being shorter.
Not heard of the oxford before, I take it they are all just rebranded.

Cheers Billy, its all shiney now. I stuck it in the dishwasher.

... sort of. I didn't include it in the list because the comb is not the the same as a 1912, although the rest of the shell is. The Treet shaves more like a Clog Pruf.

... sort of. I didn't include it in the list because the comb is not the the same as a 1912, although the rest of the shell is. The Treet shaves more like a Clog Pruf.
Wow, I didn't know that. Is that the case with the Treets made in the UK, US, or both?

There are many variants of the 1912. Check the forum here and else where and you will find many threads on the subject.
They also come in many handle and name variants.

Here are a couple of pic's from my collection.
$cccc 001.jpg
From left to right:
1912 Gem
1912 Star w/ fat green handle
1912 Treet w/ fat red handle
1912 Ever Ready w/ornate handle

Also:
$cccc 002.jpg

From left to right:
Same 1912 Gem as above for comparison
1912 Gem Damaskeene
1912 Gem Damaskeene Open Comb(Fairly Rare)
1912 Ever Ready Streamline(Fairly Rare)
Again there are many other variants including during production run over the years but here are the major types, that I have.

Regarding Treets having Clog Pruf-style combs ...

Wow, I didn't know that. Is that the case with the Treets made in the UK, US, or both?

I don't think Treet came to the UK. Ever Ready was still very prominent brand and into the '50s, had a proliferation of designs. Treet merged with ASR in 1948 and I guess they just looked through ASR's back catalogue and plucked a couple of designs. Thankfully, ASR had a solid catalogue and putting a comb from one with a shell from another was something that worked out ... it's a good razor.

Congrats on the new addition. as far as the moldy smell, put it in direct sunlight for a few hours. that usually gets rid of the stink. don't leave it out too long though, as the sun can bleach it out pretty quick.

Congrats on the new addition. as far as the moldy smell, put it in direct sunlight for a few hours. that usually gets rid of the stink. don't leave it out too long though, as the sun can bleach it out pretty quick.

I stuck the razor in the dishwasher which made it shine once ahain, as for the box its gone in the razor drawer for now, theres no sun here at the moment ha.

Cheers for the info chaps. I've learnt alot from it. This razor did seem a bit smoother than my other 1912 but I was thinking maybe my shaves have just gotten better with an se now and its all in my head.

Top Bottom