What's new

Cut my thumb today

This morning I was honing some of the razors I picked up recently. I'm not sure how but when I went to close one of the razors I drug my thumb on the blade. Didn't bleed at first. Actually wasn't sure if I cut myself at first. Then the blood started flowing. I later realized that I wasn't wearing my glasses. So that may have been part of it.

I was passing a razor from one hand to the other during a shave one time and glanced up at just the wrong second. Had a cut right in the tip of my thumb. Took a while to stop bleeding too.

The cut really wasn't that bad. No stitches necessary. Just surprised me that's all. Didn't really feel my thumb hit the blade just felt a slight sting. If I didn't have superglue it may have needed a stitch. But that stuff works wonderfully.

They do get sharp. I was sanding a blade that I hadn't run along some glass first, slipped and took the end of my thumb off, about 3mm thick slice. Took a month or so to stop feeling sensitive.

Happened to me once as well when i was starting out. I wasn't sure I actually had a cut as I didn't feel a thing but then it started bleeding...lesson learned!

Best one I had was when a W&B was left open to dry. Had a dowel propping it open and keeping it vertical to dry. It was on a corner shelf right next to the light switch, blade a bit too close to the switch as it turned out. Popped in to brush before bed and hit the light switch; didn't start bleeding until I was bhalf done brushing.

Even if you dull a straight on glass first it is still sharp enough to cut you. I've had many small cuts from restoring blades but luckily never anything bad.

Top Bottom