What's new

recommend me a pomade

Gentlemen,

I am just about to launch my hair into the world of pompadour/greaser style. When I go to get a trim next week I will ask the barber about a pomp, and he may be able to recommend me a product, but for now I was looking for recommendations on a good pomade to use that is available here in the uk

Many Thanks

Pomade from the U.K?

Black and White Pluko!!! It's the stuff used by Elvis.. Great Vanilla scent.. Washes out some-what easier (compared to Murrays).

I don't know any UK pomades. I use Aveda Men Pure-Formance Grooming Clay to keep my short hair in place. I like the way it smells. Don't think it would work for greaser-style, though.

There was a hair gel I loved in the 80s called Tenax. God I adored the smell of that stuff.

Most traditional pomades are really a soft wax. Mineral oil based. Essentially they're like scented Vaseline... indeed i think some people actually use Vaseline.

I own/ have owned a few:

Black and White - it's ok, smells nice

Trumper's Pomade - blue, smells of roses and has nothing special in it. Pretty heavy hold. Really expensive for all it is.

American Crew Pomade - water soluble, reasonable price, smells great, slightly weak hold.

American Crew Grooming Cream - Good price, not very washable, good hold, apparently smells funny to some people, but i think it's a natural type of smell.

American Crew Forming Cream - It's like a paste, smells of icecream and provides a good strong hold with matte finish. At medium lengths, this is probably the best option, as the others would not be strong enough. Strong hold, considering its density. It's kinda like Brylcreem but denser and stronger. I find Brylcreem kinda weak these days, have noticed that it's been re-formulated these last couple of years.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Right now I use.....

Murray Pomade: Thick stuff.....doesnt really wash out easily..but its not suppose to.

Layrite Pomade: Holds like a wax but washes out like a gel. Nice smell. Doesnt really hold as much as I would like.

American Crew: Doesnt really have any hold strenght, but washes out nicely

Jonnathan Dirt: Not really a Pomade, but its a nice styling tool

Just ordered some Trumpers Pomade

I use Murray's Nu Nile and really couldn't see switching to anything else any time soon(I actually just ordered a years supply from their website).
I know that is impossible to find in stores here so I have no idea about whether it is available in the UK.
That said nearly everyone I have spoken to in the UK who uses grease swears by Black and White. Never used it myself as I haven't been able to find it anywhere in the US other than online and I hate to order just one of anything online as shipping tends to not make it worth it.

Layrite Pomade: Holds like a wax but washes out like a gel. Nice smell. Doesnt really hold as much as I would like.

IsaacRN.

Layrite is no good and is overhyped. Try Juniors Pomade From Lucky 13 http://www.greasegasandglory.com/product.php?productid=16407&cat=0&page=1.. It costs 1/2 of what layrite does and smells better (coconut) and washes out easiest of all pomades..

For you hardcore USA greasers.. nothing holds better than High Life Pomade (trust me, I have tried them all). It is locally made in AZ from all natural ingridients and washes out easier than Murrays. Has a great coconut scent.. and various degrees of greasiness from Light to Heavy (Voodoo).. Plus it's way cheap. It's the only stuff that I use that keeps my POMP lookin so fresh!!!
http://highlifepomade.com/site/index.html
Check it out!!

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
THe High Life looks interesting. Dont know what product from them I would want...the purple colored one is interesting to prevent flaking.

I wouldnt buy Layrite again..but it was a good try.

THe High Life looks interesting. Dont know what product from them I would want...the purple colored one is interesting to prevent flaking.

I wouldnt buy Layrite again..but it was a good try.

I use the High Life Lite.. and Sometimes the Voodoo.. Lite reminds me of a consistency of Sweet Georgia Brown.. while Voodoo reminds me of a better version of Murrays.. except Purple and smells better.

Best of luck to you pomade users! :001_rolle

Dax Short and Neat (Blue tin) or their Wave and Groom (Red) they also have other variants (washable one in Purple can, a green one etc) that i've seen in Sally's (available in the UK) as well as Sweet Georgia Brown, which seems to be not much more than coloured, perfumed vaseline.

Oh and Truefitt and Hill C.A.R. Hair Cream (Without Oil) is pretty good if you put it in and style it wet. I reviewed it if you search the 'T' section of Skin/Hair/Body reviews. It was designed at the early part of the 1900's for the Royal Automobile Club (hence C.A.R. - initials reversed) to keep their hair in place in those open top cars! Smells of lillies in a light, pleasant, agreeable way, water soluable. Lot of guys here use and love it.

I went shopping this morning and got some Black and White Pluko pomade, and when I was in the hairdressing shop what should be there but pinaud bay rum! So of course I picked that up. I will attempt 1st use of pomade this evening when I'm done showering

R-james, This may not be what you're looking for but I mean only the best. I used to be one of those that used vaseline. It had a lightness that I liked. I keep my hair short but because it's thin, it lays down and vaseline kept it nice and spikey as I like it. It was kinda hard to wash out and started to smell bad because I sweat alot and work outdoors.
I found Garnier Fructis leave-in conditioner. It is not petroleum based at all and it has a light citrus smell. It contains light fruit micro oils and the hold is great! It has a shiny look and keeps my hair spikey even in the heat and as I sweat. It's not flakey and you can run your fingers through your hair and not feel it. Just in case you're interested.
Ernest

I ordered some Layrite about a week ago and started using it a few days back. So far I am unimpressed. The smell is nice but almost overpowering (I can smell it more often than my cologne), the hold is so-so and it by the end of the evening it flakes some (which I highly dislike). I've heard good things about High Life and their Voodoo is next on my list.

where did you get that cool picture? who is it? Let us know how it goes with the Black and White Pluko.

The picture came from google images, I don't know who it is but I was looking at handlebar 'staches and it struck me as rather good. I used the pluko for the 1st time last night and it does a very good job of keeping my hair in place. Woke up this morning and simply combed it back down and I was ready to go. Had never used pomade in the past but now I think it is going to become a favourite product of mine.

Top Bottom