What's new

Been at it a few weeks

Hi all,

I've been going over all the various threads in the last couple weeks, while I try to get used to the DE shave.

For the longest time, I've shaved twice a week, simply because the Mach3 I was using would destroy my neck and I just didn't want to go through the pain of shaving every day (or even every other day).

Well, I read the MSNBC article like many of us here, and ordered several items online. So far, I've had maybe 6 shaves with the Merkur HD, using Merkur blades so far. The first three shaves went very nicely, no irritation to speak of. However, starting with the fourth shave, I started experiencing irritation again. While shaving with the grain on my neck, it seemed as though the razor was skipping or catching on the skin, leading to a bit of bleeding.

I figured it was the end of the blade's life, and changed it for my next shave. So far, I haven't seen much change. I'm still getting irritation, even a few bumps, which I didn't have at all in the first 3 shaves.

I'm starting to think maybe I'm getting lazy with my angle, because I make sure not to put too much pressure.

So basically, at the end of all this, my question would be why the irritation has started from the fourth shave on, and why the bumps have appeared at this point, instead of right at the beginning?

uaTO said:
Hi all,

I've been going over all the various threads in the last couple weeks, while I try to get used to the DE shave.

For the longest time, I've shaved twice a week, simply because the Mach3 I was using would destroy my neck and I just didn't want to go through the pain of shaving every day (or even every other day).

Well, I read the MSNBC article like many of us here, and ordered several items online. So far, I've had maybe 6 shaves with the Merkur HD, using Merkur blades so far. The first three shaves went very nicely, no irritation to speak of. However, starting with the fourth shave, I started experiencing irritation again. While shaving with the grain on my neck, it seemed as though the razor was skipping or catching on the skin, leading to a bit of bleeding.

I figured it was the end of the blade's life, and changed it for my next shave. So far, I haven't seen much change. I'm still getting irritation, even a few bumps, which I didn't have at all in the first 3 shaves.

I'm starting to think maybe I'm getting lazy with my angle, because I make sure not to put too much pressure.

So basically, at the end of all this, my question would be why the irritation has started from the fourth shave on, and why the bumps have appeared at this point, instead of right at the beginning?
If your razor is skipping, I tend to think that either the lubrication provided by you lather is inadequate or the skin on your neck is too slack. To check the first potential cause, before your shave, try rubbing some of the lather between forefinger and thumb. It should be very slick. To check the second issue, try turning your head and moving your jaw around to create a more taut surface for shaving (some gents also get good results from going as far as stretching the skin).

Kyle said:
If your razor is skipping, I tend to think that either the lubrication provided by you lather is inadequate or the skin on your neck is too slack. To check the first potential cause, before your shave, try rubbing some of the lather between forefinger and thumb. It should be very slick. To check the second issue, try turning your head and moving your jaw around to create a more taut surface for shaving (some gents also get good results from going as far as stretching the skin).

On the lather point, I'm not sure if I'm getting a proper lather.
I keep my brush, SR108, under hot water for a couple minutes, rotating while the water goes onto the brush, and then flick once to get rid of excess water. Then, it's a quick push and twist in the jar, either CE Almond or Taylor's Avocado.

I generally swirl the brush around on my face and get a semi-decent lather, but nothing like the mountains of lather I've seen in some of the pictures posted on the forums.

As for the lubrication, I'll try your trick next time I shave, and report back

Goosemeplease said:
You are making the the razor tight against the blade Yes?

About as tight as the Merkur HD allows, yes.

As to what With the Grain said, I'll try to find a decent mug/bowl one of these days, and give the shave a shot with that.

After my last shave, which is when I started this topic, there were a few nicks, but no bumps/major irritation. I know I tried to take it a little more slow and relaxed than the last couple times. So I'm guessing rushing through it had a lot to do with the irritation.

Now, all I have to do is get a proper lather going :biggrin:

With The Grain said:
the mug or bowl doesnt need to be anything special, my first mug was nothing more than the largest coffee cup i had laying about, my first bowl was a dip/salsa bowl :blushing:

Is there a certain material that is recommended more than others? From some of the other threads I've seen, it seems ceramic does the job best?

Leisureguy said:
Here's a guide to building a lather from shaving cream.

Target has a terrific heavy ceramic bowl for $3. It's the cereal bowl in their "Home" brand: 5" across, 3" deep, hemispherical---just right for a lathering bowl. BUT: it's white, which makes it hard to see the lather.
I was able to purchase a similar sized bowl at Linens 'n Things, and at the same time, happened across the hotpot i first saw mentioned in this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9&highlight=rival

The bowl nest pretty well in the top of the hotpot, once the hotpot's lid has been removed. This does an excellent job of keeping the lather warm, but you have to be careful to add more water than usual, as the heat will cause it to evaporate from the bowl. The lowest setting of the hotpot is more than enough, and typically i have find myself unplugging the thing about halfway through the shave so that it doesn't scorch my suds.

Top Bottom