What's new

First Restore: Wade and Butcher

After setting up a couple of Gold Dollars I had a go on a restore project. I believe I paid $7 for this Wade and Butcher. Roofing-nail pins, splintered home made scales. Lots of rust. Here's the Ebay photo:

$wb1.jpg

I had to grind the nose just a bit to improve the line of the edge. After many sheets of sandpaper and some steel wool I got something like this:

$wb5.jpg

Nothing fancy with the new scales; black acrylic, wider diameter pivot hole meant using a larger gauge wire for the pins. Steel washers. I cut a brass wedge out of an old key.

$wb2.jpg

It's dimensions aren't big, probably one of the smaller of the Wade Butchers, but it's a heavy slab of a blade even still.

$wb3.jpg

Hasn't been honed yet. I'm still practicing on the GDs.

$wb4.jpg

Thanks for looking-

That's really good, especially for the first try. My only constructive criticism is next time try to preserve the sharp lines of the tang a bit more.

After setting up a couple of Gold Dollars I had a go on a restore project. I believe I paid $7 for this Wade and Butcher. Roofing-nail pins, splintered home made scales. Lots of rust. Here's the Ebay photo:

View attachment 533215

I had to grind the nose just a bit to improve the line of the edge. After many sheets of sandpaper and some steel wool I got something like this:

View attachment 533216

Nothing fancy with the new scales; black acrylic, wider diameter pivot hole meant using a larger gauge wire for the pins. Steel washers. I cut a brass wedge out of an old key.

View attachment 533217

It's dimensions aren't big, probably one of the smaller of the Wade Butchers, but it's a heavy slab of a blade even still.

View attachment 533218

Hasn't been honed yet. I'm still practicing on the GDs.

View attachment 533219

Thanks for looking-

Beautiful job on that Razor. Keep it up!

Amazing work. I'd have taken one look and been like, nope, you kidding, look at the spine wear. You did her up good, nice save.

That's really good, especially for the first try. My only constructive criticism is next time try to preserve the sharp lines of the tang a bit more.

Yes, I'm not sure if I lost a little bit there or if was already rounded. I didn't try to get the tang spotless, but just tried to knock the rust off.

If I decide to put nicer scales (better materials) on it I'll try to bring those edges back out.

I have to be careful with a diamond edge I just got. The whole appeal of the thing are the sharp angles. I usually only do angles with higher grits and just suffer through it. $7 was amazing for that. PPL were asleep at the wheel on ebay that day.

She cleaned up pretty nicely. If it were me, I think I would send it off to a honemeister so that I could feel,what that Sheffield steel can do. But I do get your desire to do everything from start to finish to first shave.

Top Bottom