What's new

A Thread for the Writers Amongst Us…

Many of us like to put our thoughts on paper or screen. We journal, write poetry, write stories, etc… Those of us associated with the Nib often prefer to use writing instruments that have been around for centuries. Others write with a keyboard and screen. Bottom line, many of us write!

Let’s share some of that writing.
Poetry and prose need to be shared. Journal entries certainly qualify too. It’s time to give others access to our original poetry, prose, and thoughts.

Rules

• Posted poetry or prose must be yours or a family member’s work.
  • Subject matter and phrasing must meet the rules associated will all Badger and Blade posts.
  • Your previously published work is perfectly acceptable as long as you are permitted to share it again.

Procedures

• Try to go old school if you can. Take a picture of your handwritten work. Let us enjoy your work in your own hand.
  • If, you are a keyboard and screen writer. “Cut and paste” is your friend. You don’t have to use a fountain pen, dip pen, glass pen, quill, chisel, ya da, ya da, to participate. Yes, this means non-Nibsters are most welcome!
  • If, you are concerned about retaining copyrights, here is an old method. Send yourself a letter with your work inside. The postmark on an unopened envelope will date your work.
  • Illustrations, artwork, etc… that complement your written words are welcome. Please add them.
  • As one of my favorite teachers said, “Choose your favorite prose/poetry form and have at it…”.

Here’s some background as to why I posted this thread…

A quick bit of research shows many of us enjoy turning a phrase. Some B&B threads touch on the writing arts. (a.k.a. obsession) Few of these threads target original works by our membership. (Poems of specific types and PIFs seem to be a common exception.) Let’s see if this thread can stand the test of time by lasting more than a few weeks.

Last edited:
I'll be brave and post the first item(s)...

$DSCN1390 - poetry journal.jpg

I posted this on an old writing contest thread here...I'll go 2nd.

This following short story isn't entirely mine. I collaborated on it with my grandfather shortly before his death. He always loved to write, but late in life, he had a few TIA's (like a mini stroke) and his writing became entirely illegible. So i started to write with and for him. He never told me if he wanted his stories published, but I think he did and maybe posting here is close enough. I wrote this from memory as the original was sadly lost in moving his things after he passed. The title is "Too Cold in This Town" by S. Richard First and Ed Janiszewski

Their two week furlough had finally come in. Rob was overjoyed. Ever since he was drafted, he knew he wasn’t cut out for the army. Nightly he dreamed of escaping from Fort Bumble-wherever-I-am and going back home outside of Chicago. Charlie was the only damn thing keeping him in the service. Rob didn’t have any brothers and no friends growing up for that matter. Charlie was the closest he’d ever had to either of those.

“New York!” cried Charlie
“What?” asked Rob
“We should go to New York for our time away. I’m from Buffalo, you know, so I’ve heard all the stories” spoke Charlie
“Anywhere is better than here” said Rob in his usual melancholy
“I knew you’d say that” said Charlie as he threw a train pass at the chest of his friend “We leave in 2 hours, get packin’!”

The pair arrived just as night was starting to settle in on the city

“Come on, I heard of a good place. Nickel a beer, ten cents for a shot of rye! And the dames, Robbie, the dames!” Charlie was good and loaded, he had been pulling from a flask the whole train ride. Rob wasn’t much of a drinker, but he played along and followed.

They entered the bar and immediately both wore crestfallen looks. No dames, only sad, old men getting drunk on rickety stools in front of a dirty bar.

“This is the place?” asked Rob
“Can’t be!” shouted Charlie “Ok, we’ll sit for a few drinks and then go look for a party. This is New York City after all!”

The men ordered a shot and beer each. The barkeep slowly poured the order and then said “50 cents” as he laid the drinks down.

Charlie became irate “Who you think you are trying to swindle? Just because we look like a million bucks in our dress uniforms doesn’t mean we are made of money!”

The bartender merely shrugged and said ‘Pay or leave”

Charlie made a move to hop the counter with a mind to strangler the bartender. Rob interceded, grabbed his friend, threw a single down on the bar and they both exited.

Rob chimed up before Charlie could say anything “Let’s go find that party” and they started to walk. Before long, they heard the sound of laughter wafting from a lighted apartment. Charlie stopped dead and said “That’s our party!”

Rob came back with a question “How do you suppose we get up?”

“Couple handsome gents like us? We just wait here and they can’t help but see us and invite us up!” replied Charlie

And they waited, imagining the party, the drinks and the girls. It started to get late and no invitation came. Both young men began to shiver. Rob patted his friend on the shoulder and said “Thanks for trying to show me a good time. Let’s go back, we don’t belong here…it’s too cold in this town.”

Last edited:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419401717.630856.jpg

My loving wife penned this and I re-wrote it some time ago when first practicing with brush pens. I've wanted to put it on a nice piece of parchment, maybe for her birthday

297 people have read this thread. Many have come back more than a few times to see what's been added. The stuff we post here does not have to have any socially redeeming values. Pure, unadulterated drivel is AOK.

For example, I took Sally out to dinner to our favorite local Italian restaurant. Great food, great wine, great selection of draft beers, excellent service, nothing pretentious about this place, jeans are the norm... I did my usual pre-this-restaurant preparation.

Here's to pure unadulterated drivel. I dedicate this poem to the great oatmeal stout that accompanied this superb plate of pasta.

$DSCN1409 - Carbonera Rocks.jpg

I love to write, and I am most comfortable with prose. But I've enjoyed trying my hand at poetry. Here is one.

Why does the world have to move so quickly?
If only it would slow down;
And allow us more opportunity
To enjoy all that surrounds;
Just to be quiet and listen to nature;
And acquaint ourselves with its stature;
We might find peace;
And maybe some relief;
From this world that never seems to slow down

I love to write, and I am most comfortable with prose. But I've enjoyed trying my hand at poetry. Here is one.

Why does the world have to move so quickly?
If only it would slow down;
And allow us more opportunity
To enjoy all that surrounds;
Just to be quiet and listen to nature;
And acquaint ourselves with its stature;
We might find peace;
And maybe some relief;
From this world that never seems to slow down

I needed to hear that today.

Thanks, Niles.

Thanks for reading, Tony. All of my writing is heavily influenced by the Trascendentalists. This one is the most obvious example.

Way to go Niles! A great set of words to share. Who's next!

(I am beginning to feel like a cheerleader as opposed to a forward.)

I remember an alliteration poem I did in grade school, lighten the mood :tongue_sm

"Wacky wombats wiggle wildly while wondering who went where"

Top Bottom