What's new

Gillette Techs

One of the three razors I scored from an antique mall last weekend turned out to be a 1957 Gillette Tech. I was really anxious to try this out, and since last Sunday have been shaving with it. I've read how most consider these mild, but it does not seem as mild as my Blue Tip.

Anyone else a fan of these fine razors?

I sold all my other razors and have 3 techs left...all fat handle, 2 Canadian's (1 square slot-1 triangle slot) and 1 USA (square slot)...I can't get a better shave with anything else...enjoy your Tech!

...Anyone else a fan of these fine razors?

Does the Pope live in the Vatican? :001_smile I have several varieties of Techs and love them all. Recently, I bought a Canadian pre-war one to compare with a USA pre-war model for any difference in how they shave (haven't received it yet).

I'm thinking of grabbing another one to use as my travel razor. I still don't see where people are calling these mild shavers though. To me, it seems more like a mid range setting on a Fatboy or Slim...say about a 4-5. So far, mine has given great performance with Personna Blue razors.

I have a good variety of Tech razors. They were my first razor when getting into wet shaving a couple years ago and I still love them all even if I don't use them as much as I use to. I'll still buy one if I see a good deal or one I don't have.

Techs never seem to fail in giving a nice clean shave.

I'm thinking of grabbing another one to use as my travel razor. I still don't see where people are calling these mild shavers though.

I'd say go for it. There are tons of Travel Techs that can be had for like around $10 or less. If you're lucky you can find a 4 piece Tech.

I think the Tech is one of those razors that you can adjust just by changing the blade. A smooth blade gives a mild shave while a sharp blade will give a nice efficient shave.
When you compare them to a lot of other razors out there they are on the mild side but not so mild that you have to add a few passes just to get a clean shave.

I think the Tech is one of those razors that you can adjust just by changing the blade. A smooth blade gives a mild shave while a sharp blade will give a nice efficient shave.
When you compare them to a lot of other razors out there they are on the mild side but not so mild that you have to add a few passes just to get a clean shave.

Now that makes perfect sense. Out of the several razors I use, Personna Blue is the sharpest, and I have to be really careful when using these in an adjustable like a Fatboy, or Slim. I have a few other brands that were just not working in any razor I tried due to it being overly sharp and therefore irritating on my skin. I'll bet they work, or at least work better in the Tech.

I adored my Techs. I think I have 2 gold '46-'50 Techs and 1 Fat handled gold Tech. I have silver Tech from late 50s but I gave it away to my friend on his birthday. I just ordered another Fat Handled gold Tech. Man, I can never get enough of my Techs.

I really wish that someone would tell me about Gillette Tech when I was starting out DE shaving for the first time.

I love Techs. For me they shave better than an adjustable and they're pretty much bulletproof. Anytime I see one for a decent price, I can't resist picking it up so I probably have a few I haven't even used yet. I use a pre-war with triangle slots regularly and if I had to, I could live with nothing else.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
There's a reason for it's extremely long production, 1938 - 1979; it's an excellent razor! My first Tech use was in basic training in 1960. If you hold one side by side with a NEW long comb and look at the blade tab ends the guard plate profiles are identical.

I just bought one, now I'm excited to give it a go!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419298293.839289.jpg

I have a fat-handled pre-war triangle slot and a '53. I enjoy the slight aggression of the pre-war vs the post. It gives just that extra little bit of feedback and efficiency the post-war doesn't offer me. Since I normally shave every other day, if I have to get one in between, I use the milder '53 with the fat handle. I won't give either one up.

Top Bottom