What's new

Options for vintage open combs in silver color

I'm finally familiar with most of the Gillette TTO models. But I know very little about open-comb razors. Most of the ones I see are gold colored. What's a reasonable, easy to find, silver-colored open-comb razor out there?

I'm not going to talk about prices, because we're not supposed to discuss that here.

There's many Gillette OC razors that are silver toned. Single Rings and ball end Old Types are easy to find, New Improved, NEW SC and Deluxe models, most English NEWs are silver toned, too.

These (the NEWs at least) tend to be a bit more expensive than the gold versions because they're not so common.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Get a beat-up gold NEW for cheap and have razorplate put a nice new coat of nickel on it. Done.

Better than new.

If you want something original, you really can't go wrong with a silver or nickel NEW -- most of which would be British made, as Edgar suggested, though finding a nice one might run you more than just finding a beater of a gold NEW and having it replated in nickel, like Doug says. Silver-plated Old Types or New Improveds are usually easier to come by than gold ones.

Pretty much any of the open-comb TTOs is going to cost you a pretty penny these days, though the nickel-plated Senator is a great option and the rhodium-plated British Aristocrat is stunning.

In addition to the other folks' suggestions, if you can pick up a New or an Old Type, you can get them replated for a pretty fair price in whatever color you'd like!

I agree with Adam. Buy a beater and get it replated. Voila! Instant new classic and another razor resurrected.

Top Bottom