What's new

How to store pipe tobacco and how do you store it?

Hello,
Having just started at the pipe smoking malarky I'm learning new things all the time and find myself wondering the answers to questions that I ask myself.
Firstly how to store the 'baccy. I have a several zip lock plastic bags, each with a different 'baccy. I have put them all into one coffee container, is this okay to do? Or will the favours mingle with each other? Or maybe I'm reading too much into this ha.
Having done a web search for this a million and one things bounced back so I thought the best place to ask would be here.
So coffee pot okay to store all the 'baccy?
How do you store your 'baccy?
apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a thread.
Cheers
$image.jpg

The baccy will over time mix due to the bags being permeable. I store mine separately in mason jars, which seems to be the way to do it unless the tobacco is unopened in the tin.

The baccy will over time mix due to the bags being permeable. I store mine separately in mason jars, which seems to be the way to do it unless the tobacco is unopened in the tin.
Wazza, this is exactly the way I store mine as well. It seems to be the general consensus around here, as the Prof. said.

ah yes, I remember you saying about the jars now.
Cheers guys.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Small amounts you are actively smoking will be fine individually bagged and put in a jar. I would have a few jars and not mix smokey / sweet /natural smelling tobaccos together in one jar.

Ball/Kerr mason canning jars for storage long term. $8-9 per dzn
I use the Kilner flip top jars for every day tobacco so I am not unscrewing jar lids multiple times per day $15-4.
Tobacco pouch or ziplock if out and about during the day.

Small amounts you are actively smoking will be fine individually bagged and put in a jar. I would have a few jars and not mix smokey / sweet /natural smelling tobaccos together in one jar.

Ball/Kerr mason canning jars for storage long term. $8-9 per dzn
I use the Kilner flip top jars for every day tobacco so I am not unscrewing jar lids multiple times per day $15-4.
Tobacco pouch or ziplock if out and about during the day.

Cheers for the advice chaps! I have a few of these containers so I will use these for now.

Practically anything using glass and designed for food storage should be fine and I wouldn't use plastic storage "baggies" unless it's very short term.

Get some nice Virginia pipe tobac, stuff it in a mason jar, nuke for 30 seconds, screw on lid, put date on lid, check it in 5 years. Enjoy.

Mason jars! They store nicely, create a lasting seal and you can write on the lids. I just went thru my stash yesterday and unearthed about a dozen jars with 2-3 ounces of tobacco each that I've written were put in the jars 10-12 years ago. Like wine, hide its forget about it, keep it sealed and it becomes extremely well aged.

Another vote for mason jars.

Intended for daily use I have some rubber gasket bail-top jars like Riff Raff and some friction-fit plastic gasket jars, but I haven't put those into service yet.

When I have small amounts (2oz or less) of a blend, to reduce quantity of jars I'll put its ziploc bag in a jar with a similar blend (also in its own bag, of course), preferring the bags provided by the seller (usually a tobacconist like Milan/Boswell/Sterling or PipesAndCigars.com) which I assume are better for tobacco storage than the cheap bags I buy at the grocery store.

I think storing yours in that coffee can will probably infuse them with that coffee scent/taste.

In captaincaveman - just a thought - when I have smaller amounts like 2 ounces - I still use mason jars, I just bought a dozen smaller pint sized and 4 ounce jar sizes. When I'm done and don't want that blend anymore I just clean out the jar and reuse it for another blend I'm trying.

Anyways, just a thought for ya sir!

I also use mason jars of various sizes.. Many, many mason jars! I also make sure to keep my jars stored out of the light. The open jars are in drawers in my den, and the long-term "cellared" jars (and tins) are aging in a cabinet in the basement.

Cheers guys for all of the advise. Looks like mason jars in the future.
I did put the coffee tin in the dishwasher as I was worried about the coffee scent passing over but that seems okay. As for now I wont keep them all together in the tin but just in the bags.
Again, cheers.

You might try some of the tiny 4-ounce Ball brand Jelly jars for very small amounts. They seal as well as any of the regular masons. For a little bit more tobacco, they also have 8-ounce elite series.
For me, the size of jar is usually double or a bit more tobacco ounce to jar fluid ounce. Two ounces loose fits just into a 4 ounce jelly jar, 4 ounce bullseye or flake fits into an 8 ounce Elite jar. Getting up there though, 8 ounces of loose cut is often a tight pack into a pint jar (16oz). Two five pound bags of MacBaren were an extremely tight fit into six half gallon jars with some spillover into two pint jars.

Top Bottom