What's new

Leather Coat Care/Cleaning

Have an inexpensive leather coat which I purchased several years ago, and have noticed that the area of the collar closest to where my neck sits is now distinctly darker than the rest of the coat. I gather that it is the result of perspiration or body oils, although it does extend down the width of the collar. What would be a good way to clean this? And, I guess, prevent from happening in the future? Thanks!

I have had brown leather jackets this has happened to.
The quick easy thing to try is buy some leather wipes and give your coat the once over. You can buy them from the grocery store. Should be with the cleaning products. Picture of a leather couch on it.
If that doesn’t work I would give it a hit of Pecards Leather dressing. It will darken your leather (so it will blend the darker collar). It will add moisture to your coat (a good thing) and make it water repellant.
Something I have not done but have read about on-line is to use saddle soap. Helps clean, condition and protect the leather. You can buy it at any Tack shop. If you don’t think you have a tack shop in your area, look it up, you will be surprised.
As for what to do to stop this from happening. Wear a shirt with a collar so your neck doesn’t touch the jacket. Make you look smarter as well. J
Maybe buy a black jacket next time so you can’t see the discoloration.
Johnny

Thank you, Johnny. I wish to assure you that all my shirt collars are high enough that they shouldn't let my neck touch the collar; but something has definitely happened, so I will watch it! Did think about a black one next time, if there is a next time. And I do have some saddle soap on hand. May give that a go when I have a chance.

strop

Now half as wise
I began to notice this just a bit a few years ago, but I got in the habit of always wearing a scarf. Keeps you warmer, but also keeps any hair/skin oil from darkening it. And I always wear collared shirts:001_smile

Could be the leather. My Mall leather jackets did that years ago. I have two Wested Leather Jackets in cow (ten years old) and goat (eight years old) that have no sign or discoloration. So maybe it’s just the quality of the leather.
Johnny

Top Bottom