What's new

Help identifying two ball-end razors

Brand new here (and to DE shaving) and in need of some help from the experts. :)

I don't have a set-up yet, though I'll be getting a brush and razor from my GF for Christmas. However, having hopped into the rabbit hole - with time spent on B&B, Shaving 101, Shave Den and a few other sites - I just couldn't wait! I stopped into an antique shop to look at a firewood bin and walked out with two DE razors.

I'm pretty sure that one is a 1938-45 Gillette Tech. There's no date code and it has a bar. It sort of matches the ones in the Tech Spotter image gallery, but not exactly.

$IMG_0497.jpg$IMG_0499.jpg$IMG_0500.jpg$IMG_0501.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
The other...I just don't know. All it has is "Made in England". It's probably a Gillette of some sort based on the shape of the ball end, but maybe not.

$IMG_0503.jpg$IMG_0504.jpg$IMG_0505.jpg

Help?

Thanks in advance. :D

You're right on both counts. The first is a triangle-slot Gillette Tech, regarded by many as the best shaving of the whole Tech family (which is pretty extensive). The ball end handle versions of this razor were only made (I believe) in 1945, so great score. A mild but effective shaver. The second is a later edition English Tech with an aluminum handle. It is of course lighter, but a similar shaver; probably a bit less efficient than the triangle slot. Very nice starters, for sure. Be careful, this can quickly become a problem.

Have fun.

Aw, Spang, thanks so much for the confirmation! I need to clean up the Aluminium version, but I'm sure I'll enjoy them both.

Hmm...I've been looking at more images online, trying to do a better job of identifying the razors. On thing that I've noticed is that the USA Tech doesn't have "Gillette" across the top of the guard - it's plain. And I can't find any images of a UK Tech with that style of knurling.

Any chance that I have a pair of mis-matched razors, with parts from others? I really would love to narrow this down as much as possible. :bored:

If more pics would help with the process, just let me know.

BTW, the images came out yellow/gold, but both razors are silver in color.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Hmm...I've been looking at more images online, trying to do a better job of identifying the razors. On thing that I've noticed is that the USA Tech doesn't have "Gillette" across the top of the guard - it's plain. And I can't find any images of a UK Tech with that style of knurling.

Any chance that I have a pair of mis-matched razors, with parts from others? I really would love to narrow this down as much as possible. :bored:

Try the Mr-Razor website. Achim is also a B&B member.

To my knowledge, the etched Gillette logo on the caps wasn't introduced until after the triangle slot Techs had been replaced with the straight or oval slots.

The etched cap Techs came, as stated, when the base plate changed from triangle to oval slots. You have the plain cap, with the triangle slots, AND the ball end handle, which was was only made for one year; 1945, I believe. It's fairly rare, so you won't find many images of it. Yours is original, and a fine razor it is. Enjoy!

Have fun.

The etched cap Techs came, as stated, when the base plate changed from triangle to oval slots. You have the plain cap, with the triangle slots, AND the ball end handle, which was was only made for one year; 1945, I believe. It's fairly rare, so you won't find many images of it. Yours is original, and a fine razor it is. Enjoy!

Have fun.

Thanks (again). I wasn't seeing any reference to a special one-year model in my research, but it's amazingly cool to have stumbled across such a thing! Dumb luck, but I will take it. And it's in fine shape, to boot.

Now to figure out the specifics on the English one...

Now to figure out the specifics on the English one...

Well, I gave it a bit of a scrub this morning and found "A" and "1" stamped under a bit of muck. Looking at the handy B&B Gillette chart, it seems that I have an English Aluminium Ball-End Tech from Q1 of 1955. Mystery solved!

:a50:

What? Dammit! NOW you tell me... :glare:

But thanks for the additional information. I appreciate knowing what's what. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom