What's new

Attempting first DE shave - should I trim week-long beard first?

Hey guys,

Unless there's a special occasion (important client meeting, a formal friend/family event, etc.), I usually only shave once a week on Sunday night (not a fan of morning shaves).

So I'm about to try my first DE shave, but I'm curious if I should trim my week-long beard first the way I've always done? What I'm used to doing is using a Philips Norelco c370 (not sure why it's that much on amazon - bought it for like $20) before I get in the shower and this would significantly speed up my shave when using my Mach 3 Fusion Turbo.

Thoughts?

It probably wouldn't hurt to stick to your routine, and only change one thing at a time, but I don't know that it's mandatory.

Hi Living, welcome to the forum. It depends on what you are shaving with. If you have very heavy growth and it's a very mild razor then a trimming may be in order but generally not needed.

It's a pretty thick week-long beard (but not a full-on beard) - I'm from russian decent.

Kind of like Jake here:
$jake.jpg

I'm going to be using is a Merkur 34C with an Astra Superior Platinum blade - again this is my first DE shave.

What I'm concerned about is that this trimming causes unnecessary irritation. If I don't have to worry about that aspect, then I may as well keep trimming prior to my pre-shave shower.

Welcome to the forum!

Since this would be your first shave, trim the beard then give the 34C a go! However, if you say the trimmer causes irritation, then I would forego it and just use the 34C. Take it slowly, don't try for a BBS shave and good luck!

Welcome! If the week-long growth is clogging the blade then rinse it more frequently to keep it clear so the blade can do it's work properly. The razor will let you know if your beard is too long.

Welcome to the site. I'd say its probably best to trim a week's growth first just because its on the longer side. That could lead to pulling of the whiskers, and a rather uncomfortable shave.

Thanks, guys. I decided to go ahead and trim my week long beard and I think it made things easier - will probably keep doing it unless I find a reason not to.

Just to clarify, I didn't say that my trimming causes irritation. I was just wondering if that is/was indeed the case, but it's most likely that my prior razor, Mach 3 Fusion, was the only culprit.

Last edited:
So I'm about to try my first DE shave, but I'm curious if I should trim my week-long beard first the way I've always done?

This depends on the razor. Some DE will clog, other not. Merkur 15C is a super mild razor that will not give as close shave as many other DE, but still it mows through huge growth without clogging. I shaved down 2.5 weeks of growth without trimming first with this one.

In general, open comb razors are your friends if you want to shave huge growths without clogging (even though some exceptions might clog a bit). They come in all levels of aggressiveness, all the way from super mild ones to real beasts. Because of a few beasts many associate open combs with aggressiveness even though there is nothing inherently aggressive about open combs.

With most razors (there are always exceptions and YMMV when it comes to shaves), the gap need to be narrow or the razor will not feel very smooth. With safety bar, that means a bar along the edge with a very small gap. This gap can be clogged if you have longer whiskers. For an open comb the gap is the space between the comb and the edge. As each pin in the comb is so narrow, it is more difficult to clog because the whiskers will usually find their way up between the comb pins. This is why mild open combs are often more efficient and still very smooth comparing to the same aggressive safety bar razors.

Just started shaving with my DE razor myself, fair warning don't expect perfect results from the start. It may be wise to lower your standards and maybe even grab that old razor for touch ups till you get the hang of it (a decent shave is acceptable don't strive for what you've gettin it may take time to get there). Been using mine for maybe a week or so. But I also went through this went I went from using a gillette fusion to not shaving and just trimming my beard to using Bic Sensitives to train for the DE, my quality of shaves went down and I had to relearn, same deal with the DE. Just stick to it and it will get better. Funny thing is my first DE shave was great, shaves 2-4 not so good would be an understatement.

I have issues with irritation, ingrown hair, etc in one extremely bad problem spot which doesn't like to cooperate with me so I figure I chime in and say what I've learned so far as I wished someone told me that a month or two ago. Good luck with new DE.

If you're going to continue shaving infrequently I'd second Engblom's suggestion of going open comb, you won't need to trim first with one of those.

Thanks, guys. I decided to go ahead and trim my week long beard and I think it made things easier - will probably keep doing it unless I find a reason not to.

Just to clarify, I didn't say that my trimming causes irritation. I was just wondering if that is/was indeed the case, but it's most likely that my prior razor, Mach 3 Fusion, was the only culprit.
How is your progress?

Top Bottom