What's new

Traditional Hot Buttered Rum Recipe

I've never made hot buttered rum but would like to try it for Christmas. I'm trying to get an idea of what would be a truly authentic recipe. Generally the ingredients include rum, butter, water and sugar, with varying amounts or lack of cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg - even vanilla extract or cream!

I'd love to hear from fans of the beverage what the essential hot buttered rum actually is. For instance:

* Salted or unsalted butter? The big thing being "salty and sweet" right now.
* Which of the spices? and how much?
* Cream or no?
* Vanilla extract or no?
* Brown sugar or white?

I suspect one might say to experiment but I eat very little sugar and want to reserve that if possible.

Thanks in advance.

My aunt/uncle actually make the batter for this and Tom and Jerry's in our area. I can ask them what they would do for someone that's trying to lower their sugar intake. Though IMO, you're going to mix it with Rum which will be just as bad for the sugar intake.
Spices are going to be the tougher process, which is part of the fun. Get a few friends and try a bunch of different recipes. I'd play around with a few recipe's online. Usually for myself since it's a family deal I just buy a premade one.

• 1 small slice soft unsalted butter
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • spices to taste: ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, allspice
  • Vanilla extract
  • 2 ounces dark rum
  • Hot water

1. Place the butter, sugar and spices at the bottom of an Irish coffee glass or mug.
  2. Mix well or muddle.
  3. Pour in the rum and hot water.
  4. Stir.
you may want to try a spiced rum and no spices

Perfect -thanks, Mark. JLanger if you do gain any secrets let me know. I'm not concerned about sugar on Christmas (thankfully) but I do want to keep the testing to a minimum prior to that.

Cheers and happy Christmas (Holiday)

What? There are no carbs or sugar in white, amber or dark rum. Spiced... maybe. Flavored... very likely.

You're probably right I was going off inaccurate information. i.e. Rum being fermented sugar and all, it actually contains none.

Top Bottom