What's new

What kind of clothes hangers do you use?

What type of clothes hangers do you use?

• Plastic

• Metal

• Wood

• I fold everything

• Depends on what I'm hanging up

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Plastic? Metal?
Do you fold all your clothes?

Different hangers for different clothes?

For me it's 99% plastic and everything get's hung up. I don't even own a dresser.
The metal hangers I do have came from the dry cleaners.

So what about you?

Most of my casual clothes hand on the plastic tubular type. For my suits and sports coats I use the wooden ones; some with the pants clamp, some without.

Last edited:
Mostly the plastic ones that come with stuff when you buy it. I'm tight like that!

I do have a few solid wooden ones for my very few tidy jackets and my duffel coat which murders the plastic ones with its weight!

Gareth

Got married, had coated wire and plastic hangers. New bride saw them and performed IMMEDIATE exorcism on my closet. Wood since then...

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
For me, it's mostly metal / wire hangers (you can get a lot from your local dry cleaners), like for pants (and suits, sport coats), I use the ones with the rolled cardboard 'trouser guard'. :w00t:

$Hanger.jpg

For shirts...the dry cleaner wire hangers are great and for coats, I use wood hangers! :thumbsup:

I also would add that having been socialized to a military life style, I fold everything that can be folded (i.e., sweaters, t-shirts, briefs ect...'dress, right dress')
proxy.php

proxy.php
"A closet full of wire hangers can be the most [beautiful] place in the world". Paul Lynde

That's a good point.
Does it transfer to your clothes?

Barely. When I put a shirt on that I haven't worn in a while there is a slight scent where the shirt was hanging. It dispatch very quickly. However there are worse things to smell like than cedar.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

I share a 1 bedroom with my wife, and in an effort to standardize our cluttered closet and armoire, we bought a 100 pack of wooden hangers from the Great American Hanger Company:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-American-Hanger-Company/dp/B0061DY46E
EDIT: It also looks like Amazon sells something similar (check out AmazonBasics) at an even lower cost. Looks very similar.

They are leaps and bounds better than metal hangers, and more durable and grippy than the plastic ones. The heads swivel so you can face all shirts the same way, which is hard to find with plastic. As you can see from Amazon, they come out to about $1 a hanger. Wood really is worth it in my opinion. Wire metal hangers are an awful product. I find that the thicker width of the wood hangers keeps the clothes spaced fairly evenly and prevents the "stuffed closet" wrinkle that you get if clothes on wire hangers get all pressed together.

I would not get cedar hangers specifically, as the oils can damage some clothes in the long run. If you want cedar in the closet I'd say either line the closet walls with cedar paneling, or get some aromatic blocks or sachets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom