What's new

open comb problem

hello

my goal is to shave long hair, that's why I decided to buy an open comb, so that it won't get clogged

but the problem is that it doesn't cut well, very deeply

I have to hold it in a specific angle in order to cut as deep as possible, and even then, most of the time, it leaves parallel lines of shaving cream on skin, which means that the razor doesn't touch the skin! otherwise it shouldn't leave these lines, right?

what is the problem exactly? and how can I overcome it or which other razor would be better?

thanks!

Those lines are telling you that your angle is too steep.

Use a more shallow angle, handle almost perpendicular to the face (this will vary from razor to razor though). Start with the cap flat against your face and slowly lower the handle until you feel the blade engaging the whiskers.

Good luck.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
so the first photo at the left is the right angle?
that's very cumbersome!
isn't there any other design that will let me have the razor comb perpendicular to the skin?
maybe a razor with shorter comb sticking out?

so the first photo at the left is the right angle?
that's very cumbersome!
isn't there any other design that will let me have the razor comb perpendicular to the skin?
maybe a razor with shorter comb sticking out?

No, the first pics shows the guy starting with the cap flat against his skin, as I said. Then you lower the handle slowly,just until you feel the blade. This will work with all razors, but doesn't mean that is the only angle that can be used.

Some razors offer a wider effective shaving angle range, but that requires blade exposure (amount of blade past the imaginary tangent line between the cap/doors and the safety bar/combs, as seen here:

$CAM01805.jpg

The more blade exposure, the wider the angle range will be, and that would allow you to use a steeper angle.But this usually means that the razor will be more aggressive.
IME, the R41 and the Old Type for example, work very well with steep angles.

Edgar's info is spot on, of course. Sounds like you are using too steep an angle… the first pic is WAY too shallow (i.e. no angle). Better to try what's shown in the pics that follow the first one. Good luck!

When I first started I was confused on the steep angle thing. Most razors will shave some where between the picture on the left and the middle one. You are right that this will feel weird at first. If you are like me and have only used a cartage, then you are more used to a steep raking action. Try holding the razor by the end with only finger tips. This keeps the angle more natural and helps with the whole no pressure thing.

By the way Edgar I'm snatching that picture if it is alright.

thanks! whi

which is the most aggressive contemporary open comb razor?
I am not interested in vintage stuff that I can only find second hand

user, keep practicing It takes a while and some razor burn to learn how to use Double edged razors. But once you have learned it properly you will feel a certain pride and your shaves will be better.
It is worth it.

OP seems like you are describing a 1904 open comb or something similar. It has a small effective angle but great visual feedback. Too shallow and it just smears lather, too steep and you get the lines you reported.

Just place the cap flat against your face (like in the earlier post) and slowly rotate it down as you make your shaving stroke. You will feel, and hear, when you find the right angle!

hello

my goal is to shave long hair, that's why I decided to buy an open comb, so that it won't get clogged

but the problem is that it doesn't cut well, very deeply

I have to hold it in a specific angle in order to cut as deep as possible, and even then, most of the time, it leaves parallel lines of shaving cream on skin, which means that the razor doesn't touch the skin! otherwise it shouldn't leave these lines, right?

what is the problem exactly? and how can I overcome it or which other razor would be better?

thanks!
You may not be doing anything wrong at all. Which razor are you currently using? It might just be to mild for you. Placing a shim or two under the blade may give you that closer shave your looking for, and may also give you clue in which type of razor, aggressive wise, you might like next. Ive also found using a solid bar razor (adjustable) to shave heavy growth equally as well as a open comb razor.

I agree with everyone else: what has helped me in using my open comb is to move the handle father away from my face--that is, to use a shallower angle.

The one I use is a modern razor, and it is decently aggressive. Brand name is either RazoRock, Cadet, or Pearl. But you really should work on your technique more before determining it's the razor's fault. What you really don't want is to waste your money buying a new razor, only to realize the same problem exists with the new one.

..or... just listen, carefully, as you shave and let the sound guide you in how you do this. Do it in a quiet bathroom, turn the fan off.. the water.. everything.. and just listen as you shave.. it should become intuitive with the sound guiding you

thanks! whi

which is the most aggressive contemporary open comb razor?
I am not interested in vintage stuff that I can only find second hand

Of all open combs I have used, Mühle R41 and Fatip gives the most close shaves. R41 is not a true OC, but some kind of hybrid. Both shave the same close, with maybe a small edge to R41 in closeness. R41 is also the more smooth in my opinion. Some will say the opposite. It is possible to clog R41 if you have really long hair you want to shave away.

If I want to shave a long growth down to BBS I take the first pass with Merkur 15C (all Merkur OC razors have the same head). Nothing I have used mows down big growth as this one, without clogging and tugging. Then I take the rest of the passes with R41. This is what I did after a 2.5 weeks of break from shaving.

Yes I'll agree with going by ear. I use an old type on the handle from a Yuma, and on 2 days growth there is some major echo going on. When you hear it cutting at it's loudest, take note of how you're holding the razor.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
To be clear, we're talking about a shallow BLADE angle to the face, not the HANDLE. See the sticky; "so, what is the steep angle?" by nuclearblast (Edgar).

Last edited:
Top Bottom