What's new

How do you daily shavers manage your face?

So, first, I am NOT a morning person. Second, I need a presentable shave for work, not necessarily DFS but decent.

Typically I shave in the evening as SWMBO is usually out at a class. My problem is that I can't skip a day this way, and therefore need to shave each day. I'd like to say I would/should just get up 15 minutes earlier but I'm too old and wise to kid myself on that one :lol:

So, if you're shaving every day, how are you protecting your skin before and after? Anything special you're doing to ensure you don't get irritation/burn?

Others may have varying applications, i just use very cold water with towel to eliminate any possible inflammation of skin afterwards.

So, first, I am NOT a morning person. Second, I need a presentable shave for work, not necessarily DFS but decent.

Typically I shave in the evening as SWMBO is usually out at a class. My problem is that I can't skip a day this way, and therefore need to shave each day. I'd like to say I would/should just get up 15 minutes earlier but I'm too old and wise to kid myself on that one :lol:

So, if you're shaving every day, how are you protecting your skin before and after? Anything special you're doing to ensure you don't get irritation/burn?
I love to use AoS Aftershave Balm and Nivea Balm.

I only cold water shave, and I only do two passes (WTG and XTG).

Sometimes I use Proraso pre/post and I always finish with Nivea Sensitive ASB.

I also wash and moisturize my face in the evening (I'm a morning shaver). I think it helps, too.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I use a cold water rinse, an alum block, and Nivea for Men sensitive. So far, So good.

TL

I rinse with cold water, use alum and then either Nivea menthol or Proraso blue asb. Lately I've had good results with 444 as gel mixed with Floid menthol asl.

I use a cold water rinse, an alum block, and Nivea for Men sensitive. So far, So good.

TL

Thanks for the replies so far! TexLaw, I find the alum block makes my skin too tight, even rinsing after a few minutes. Perhaps I'm using it too much??

I rinse with cold water, use alum and then either Nivea menthol or Proraso blue asb. Lately I've had good results with 444 as gel mixed with Floid menthol asl.

Haven't seen 444, where do you get it? NVM found it online.

Last edited:
You could probably get 55,000 different responses from each of the forums members. For me, a pre shave oil applied sparingly after showering, followed by the 3 pass shave and an alcohol containing after shave treat my skin just fine. I find after shave balm to feel more oily as the day progresses. I believe the shaving soap lather probably breaks down the pre shave oil leaving just a light residue after. Have never used an alum stick

Warm rinse, cold rinse, alcohol-based after shave and L'Oreal for Men Comfort Max.

I've also been experimenting with various blade and razor combinations, and have found more / less irritation with different options. For me, my modern razors (EJ and Merkur) seem to shave with less irritation than my vintage Gillettes.

YMMV though.

I shave every day. Decent skin, I guess. All I do is rinse off soap, dry my face, apply alcohol-based aftershave, then maybe some balm (lotion).

So the warm rinse/cold rinse seems to be a popular method? Assume it's because it closes the pores?

Scrub face before (in the shower) - Warm rinse to remove soap after, then cold rinse then AS splash. Maybe a balm if I have some irritation.

I don't know if the cold water closes the pores, but it is very soothing to the skin.

I'm retired, so shave-time isn't an issue; morning, night, whichever. But An oils mug means that good prep and a careful shave are really important to make sure my face is OK through all the shaves.

I very much like Geo. F. Trumper Coral Skin Food, as a pre-shave, post-shave, or general face restorer.

Hot shower, washing my whiskers twice. This is important; 1st wash gets rid of grime and oils, 2nd wash hydrates.
Pre-shave cream, or Coral Skin Food.
I bowl-lather with high-quality cream or soap, but I sort of face-lather as well.
I am generous with blades, not using them more that 3-4 times.
2 careful passes, not over-and-over the same places; then touch-up, if needed. I don't try for perfection, but I get a BSB shave 95% of the time.
Cold rinse, alum block, cold rinse.
AS splash.
AS balm, Coral Skin Food.

Looks complicated, but I can get wonderful shave and shower done in 15 minutes. Short shower; it's drought-time out here.

That is super helpful, Vespasian. Thanks for taking the time for such a thorough step-by-step!

I'm retired, so shave-time isn't an issue; morning, night, whichever. But An oils mug means that good prep and a careful shave are really important to make sure my face is OK through all the shaves.

I very much like Geo. F. Trumper Coral Skin Food, as a pre-shave, post-shave, or general face restorer.

Hot shower, washing my whiskers twice. This is important; 1st wash gets rid of grime and oils, 2nd wash hydrates.
Pre-shave cream, or Coral Skin Food.
I bowl-lather with high-quality cream or soap, but I sort of face-lather as well.
I am generous with blades, not using them more that 3-4 times.
2 careful passes, not over-and-over the same places; then touch-up, if needed. I don't try for perfection, but I get a BSB shave 95% of the time.
Cold rinse, alum block, cold rinse.
AS splash.
AS balm, Coral Skin Food.

Looks complicated, but I can get wonderful shave and shower done in 15 minutes. Short shower; it's drought-time out here.

Everyday
Shower- face wash with noxema, a few different preshave products to play with, the Noxema a Razorock gel or Proraso pre.
Post Shave-hot rinse, alum block, cold rinse, witch hazel left to dry, 3P balm.

For me a cold water splash/rinse after the shave. Towel dry and then follow with a favorite aftershave (Pinaud Clubman or Old Spice).

I personally don't shave ATG. I always do WTG. Then if I feel like a second pass XTG, but never ATG. For me it's just not necessary and I get a plenty good shave with these two passes and FAR less likely to get ingrown in my neck area.

Top Bottom