What's new

Ever Ready 1924?

Gentlemen, I am ready to make my first foray into shaving with an antique razor, and from reading various topics on this forum, I understand that shaving with a razor from one's birth year brings much satisfaction to some guys. Being born in 1968, I haven't found any razors that suit my fancy appearance wise, so I am interested in getting a razor from my Daddy's birth year, 1924. Talk of the Everready 1924 SE razor has piqued my interest. Can someone post a pic of one so that I would know what to look for? My father and I were very close, and it would mean a great deal to me to find one of these. Does anyone know where I might be able to get one? Were they made by Gem?

The 1924 is a superb shave, but we tend to consider it a pretty aggressive shave ... some consider it stronger than the mighty Micromatic Open Comb. Anyway ...

You're after one of these:

proxy.php

proxy.php

... but one little detail which is often overlooked:

proxy.php

Take another look ... one comb is squared and one rounded. The rounded are later, we think, and give perhaps a slightly less aggressive shave.

Happy hunting! Good on you for making a really nice link to your Dad.

The 1924 is a great razor and an aggressive shaver. I have specimens with both variations of the comb.

Unfortunately, unlike the Gillette DE's there are no date codes, so there is no way to know if your 1924 was actually made in 1924. The "1924" was actually introduced in 1919. It is called the 1924 because the 1924 editions of the big mail order catalogs of the time featured ads for this razor. It was manufactured and sold until 1930, when it was replaced by the "New Improved Ever-Ready Razor" . . . which was a 1912 model with the Ever-Ready branding. To further muddy the waters, the 1914 model was also being produced and sold during this period.

If your 1924 (or other model) is in the original case, it is sometimes possible to date it more precisely by comparing the cased razor set to the advertisements of the time.

Confusing? You bet. But sorting all this out is part of the Single Edge mystique. :thumbup1:

--Bob

The 1924 is a superb shave, but we tend to consider it a pretty aggressive shave ... some consider it stronger than the mighty Micromatic Open Comb. Anyway ...

You're after one of these:

... but one little detail which is often overlooked:

Take another look ... one comb is squared and one rounded. The rounded are later, we think, and give perhaps a slightly less aggressive shave.

Happy hunting! Good on you for making a really nice link to your Dad.
Thanks very much for posting these pictures. I had read about the different combs but couldn't find any pictures to compare.

Well, my oldest daughter beat me to the punch. Before I could order the 1924 Ever Ready, she ordered me an Ever Ready 1912 as a Christmas present. Oh well. I am by far not disappointed at all. From everything I have read here, I cannot regret owning a 1912. I will love it because she bought it for me. :thumbup1:

Well, my oldest daughter beat me to the punch. Before I could order the 1924 Ever Ready, she ordered me an Ever Ready 1912 as a Christmas present. Oh well. I am by far not disappointed at all. From everything I have read here, I cannot regret owning a 1912. I will love it because she bought it for me. :thumbup1:

The round tooth 1924 is probably my favorite ASR razor, but the 1912 is a great shaver too and most people seem to prefer it to the 1924; however, just because she got you a 1912 doesn't mean that you can't get a 1924 too :thumbup:

The round tooth 1924 is probably my favorite ASR razor, but the 1912 is a great shaver too and most people seem to prefer it to the 1924; however, just because she got you a 1912 doesn't mean that you can't get a 1924 too :thumbup:

That is SO true, and that is actually my PLAN. :thumbup:

You're right on, you cannot regret having a 1912. It really is the benchmark for SE razors. I like to try different razors, so I have more than I'd care to admit, but each time I shave with a 1912 I'm reminded of why this razor was in production for several decades. There is a pretty good argument to be made that this design has never really been improved upon.

Have fun.

Well, I have been using my Ever Ready 1912 every day since Christmas morning. It is my first ever vintage razor. As pleased as I am with it, it could quite possibly be my last, as I think it would be very hard to get any better performance from any other razor. I have shaved with the same blade in it since Christmas day (GEM Blue Stars), and I'm STILL getting consistent BBS shaves! Man! I will NEVER go back to modern razors! :thumbup:

Well, I have been using my Ever Ready 1912 every day since Christmas morning. It is my first ever vintage razor. As pleased as I am with it, it could quite possibly be my last, as I think it would be very hard to get any better performance from any other razor. I have shaved with the same blade in it since Christmas day (GEM Blue Stars), and I'm STILL getting consistent BBS shaves! Man! I will NEVER go back to modern razors! :thumbup:
In my case, curiosity and just the fun of experimentation have resulted in a sizable assortment of vintage razors. But I completely agree that if you were just going to pick one to shave with every day, you'd hard pressed to choose better than the 1912. Like I said in my earlier post, there is a pretty compelling case to be made that the 1912 has never really improved upon. At the very least, it occupies an undisputed place among the great razor designs of all time.

Have fun.

In my case, curiosity and just the fun of experimentation have resulted in a sizable assortment of vintage razors. But I completely agree that if you were just going to pick one to shave with every day, you'd hard pressed to choose better than the 1912. Like I said in my earlier post, there is a pretty compelling case to be made that the 1912 has never really improved upon. At the very least, it occupies an undisputed place among the great razor designs of all time.

Have fun.

+1
The 1912 is a gold standard for sure.

Glad to hear that you are happy with your 1912. Have you posted a pic of your 1912 anywhere? There are a few different variants of the 1912 patent, so it would be interesting to see which one that you have. Happy New Year!

Yes, I can make photos of it. I will try to post some later this afternoon. I just made a wooden case for it that somewhat replicates the original boxes that some of them came in, and I just need to do one last thing to it. Give me just a few hours and I'll get some pics up. I'm not sure which variant my razor is, but I do know that I absolutely love it! I'll let you guys take a look and tell me what I have for sure. :wink2:

Here you go. These are pics of my razor, along with the replica wooden case I made for it. The case is not an exact replica, I just wanted to make something that gave the flavor of the original. The bottom is marked "Pat. 1912" and the inside of the razor is inscribed "Ever-Ready Made in U.S.A." Were there more than one variation of the Ever Ready 1912?
$Ever Ready 1.jpg

$Ever Ready 2.jpg

$Ever Ready 3.jpg

$Ever Ready 4.jpg

$Ever Ready 5.jpg

Were there more than one variation of the Ever Ready 1912?
Several. Nothing really major, just small differences. Between all the different brands (Ever-Ready, GEM, Star, Radio, etc.) I probably have 20-30 (at least) unique 1912s. Also remember there are US and British versions as well.

Here you go. These are pics of my razor, along with the replica wooden case I made for it. The case is not an exact replica, I just wanted to make something that gave the flavor of the original. The bottom is marked "Pat. 1912" and the inside of the razor is inscribed "Ever-Ready Made in U.S.A." Were there more than one variation of the Ever Ready 1912?
View attachment 537292

View attachment 537294

View attachment 537295

View attachment 537296

View attachment 537297

Beautiful effort on the case.

I am so impressed, as the case looks great!

There are a few variations even amongst the American Ever-Ready 1912s. Recently I ran across a Brooklyn Ever-Ready 1912 with the older, wider frame (which I had been told before that no Ever-Readys had). Yours is the later frame which is a little milder shave. Glad to hear that you are getting along so well with yours :thumbup1:

Happy SEing!

Top Bottom