What's new

removing knot from handle questions

i have the black / white grooming company brush and i love the knot but not as much the handle. love the look of the handle color wise the one i got was a nice mocha swirl pattern looks great but the shape while i could live with it i would prefer something a big larger. i saw a thread where someone else just tugged and it came right out of the handle. i tried that also of course not pulling to hard to destroy the knot but being a synth knot what would be the best way to get the knot out of the handle? funny thing is i do like the loccitane handle but not the extra loft. wish they made this in that handle with the shorter loft.

my wife loves the handle and i ordered her one as part of christmas stuff but its just a bit to small for my liking i would much rather have a handle made for it.

any ideas? thanks

edit: just to be clear i want to save the knot to re set in a new handle. i dont care about the handle. i can post a pic of the actual brush but its the black / white grooming company synth brush.

Last edited:
what i have done in the past is boil some water in a pan, put the brush in a cup, put a lid on the pan and let the steam do the work,the knot should just pull out,half an hour or less should do the trick,i try and not get the brush wet,and some gloves are handy.

i have also done that with a badger brush but i was worried the heat and steam might damage or melt the synthetic fibers??

I have removed dozens of knots from their handles
All of them "by the hand way" that means i cut the bristles to the bottom and then it's time for drills and bits.
I some cases i went to my cousin who has a lathe and the removing is much easier.

right but i want to save the knot and dont care about the handle. i want to re set this knot in a new handle.

i have also done that with a badger brush but i was worried the heat and steam might damage or melt the synthetic fibers??
have never used this method with a synthetic so it might damage the knot, only badger and boar, if not worried about the handle, just cut in half with a dremmel.

I did this with a wee scot once, as I wanted a high quality 14mm knot, which couldn't be bought anywhere.

I took a bandsaw and started shaving the brush from the bottom (of the knot seating region) up a mm at a time until I hit glue. I sanded that until I hit the base of the knot. Then I taped up the knot to protect it and very carefully dremeled in from the side with a cutting disc until I could snap open the hollowed region of the handle.

Have you looked into buying a different knot for a different handle? I've done it the opposite way; sacrifice the knot to keep the handle but not to save the knot.

Soak the handle, not the knot, in a hot water bath. You might have a problem if it's so buoyant that it falls over. If that doesn't work I think sliceoflife's suggestion is the next best bet. Try to cut carefully around the collar until you can chip the handle out from around the knot.

ill try that, otherwise i think the dremel idea is a good one. i think ill just tape up the knot safely and then go to town on the handle i love the knot just not as much the handle. i also bought a white one from my wife and she wants a long handle so if this works ill do the same for hers.

Top Bottom