What's new

Awaiting an R41 in Rosegold.

I've been a pretty dedicated Cobra Classic user for the past three years or so, I haven't spent much time in the DE forum. I borrowed a friends R41 and used it for two weeks and I enjoyed the razor a lot and ordered one for myself. So far I've only used Shark and Kia blades. What should I expect with this razor? Is it too aggressive to use as an everyday razor? What are your favorite blades and least favorite blades in the R41? I've already discovered that I you need to pay attention when you use this razor unlike my Cobra.

I also purchased the R41 Rosegold, it's a beautiful razor. I don't use the handle though.

IMO it's not too aggressive as an every day razor. I'm an every other day shaver, but I could easily use it every day if needed. A two passes + touch-ups is all I need with the R41, super close and comfortable shaves with absolutely zero irritation. I prefer the steep angle, I'm not sure if you've heard about it, but I think you should try it.

I only use Gillette Platinum and Polsilver SI, in all of my razors. Best combo of sharp and smooth, IMO.

Good luck and congrats on the new acquisition, Shawn. :thumbup1:

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Coarse beard? You will love the R41.
Good shaving technique? You will love the R41.
However, if you do not respect the R41...keep alum and styptic handy.

Thanks Edgar. I have heard about the steep angle, and I tried with the borrowed R41. Using a steep angle made a huge difference in my shave, less irritation and a much closer shave.

Jack, I have already discovered that the R41 is a razor that will bite you if your are not paying attention or if you try an rush the shave.

I just ordered one today - I am not sure where it will fit into my rotation of razors. My current rotation has 3 DE and 1 SE - it might displace one or two hech if it is as good as some say it might displace all of the but my birth date razor.

During the whole summer, as I was diving and I needed to be well shaved so the cyclops would not leak, I shaved daily with R41. There are many shaving daily with this one. During the winter I only shave around 23% of the shaves with this one as I can not stop myself from giving a BBS+ and a daily BBS+ with this one gives some minor irritation.

If you have discipline to quit shaving once you have reached the same level as with other milder razors, you will have zero irritation.

I am using Feathers together with R41 as other blades will tug at the steep angle.

Last edited:
During the whole summer, as I was diving and I needed to be well shaved so the cyclops would not leak, I shaved daily with R41. There are many shaving daily with this one. During the winter I only shave around 23% of the shaves with this one as I can not stop myself from giving a BBS+ and a daily BBS+ with this one gives some minor irritation.

If you have discipline to quit shaving once you have reached the same level as with other milder razors, you will have zero irritation.

I am using Feathers together with R41 as other blades will tug at the steep angle.

I figured out pretty quickly that I can't do my normal four pass shave like I do with other razors. And my technique needs to be close to perfect.

I use R41 and Shark Super Stainless exclusively, having tried a few razors and 5-6 blade brands.
I've been a "proper shaver" since Feb 2014. I need nothing else.
I stick to one ASB (Nivea Sensitive).
My "mixing it up" is done across 4-5 soaps and 3 aftershaves.
Works for me.

Top Bottom