What's new

Share your Mergress setting with me

Progress owner here. This time of year Ive been using a bit lower settings than usual. I been using 1 or 1.5 for sides of face, a 1 for the neck, and a negative setting for my upper lip. My old gold Progress I have seems a bit different than my new one, and Id say its an even smoother shave yet. With this one I use a 2 for the sides, a 1-1.5 for neck, and then the lowest it will go for my upper lip. Great razors, I look at them like a Leatherman, or a multi tool that has replaced most of my other razors. Have fun with it, and experiment with different settings until you find out what works for you. Must be pretty darn tempting to not unwrap that bad boy right now? :001_smile

I got the Mergress because I wanted something that would let me go milder. At first I went with the Merkur Futur, for the same reason, but found that its mildest setting was more aggressive than any non-adjustable I had. According to the data in the Wiki, one would might expect the most aggressive Mergress setting is milder than the mildest Futur setting. I used it for the first time this morning at setting 1. It was quite mild. I will turn it up a notch next time.

The Futur was only used for 4 shaves, I will put it up for sale on here next week.

Excited for you. I found the 1 to be very mild on my Progress. The four was very aggressive, 2-2.5 was my sweet spot. Love playing around with it, though. Being able to be more mild on my sensitive neck and mustache and more aggressive on tougher areas is such a treat.

Just did the next shave with my Mergress. Tried 2 and 3, settled on 2.5. This seemed the most efficient in terms of beard removal without skin loss, and comfortable, too. I like to hear the sound of cutting to know the pass is worthwhile.

But now, about 45 minutes later, I'm feeling some irritation. Could be the different balm or the new TOBS cream I experimented with. Probably the balm.

3.5-4 for first. Then dialed down to about 2-2.5 for subsequent passes and touch up. One of the best modern razors available although Merkur has been making them for decades. There are now vintage ones out there.

2.5 for the first 2 passes and ATG on the cheeks.

Then adjust it all the way down for ATG on the rest of my face.

The sweet spot seems to be 2.5 for the first pass and followed on down to the first setting for ATG and finishing. Rarely do I need a third pass with a fresh blade.

I have a Progress and generally set it around 3 - rarely above 3.5 or below 2.5. I don't fiddle between passes; 2 passes at 3 works well for me.

#1 setting for both passes. Thick beard and smooth sensitive skin.

Get very close shave with Mergress XL after three years plus shaving with it and another four to five with Progress.

Excellent razor!

I haven't used my Mergress in quite some time but I always enjoyed shaving with it. I followed some advice from other members and started on a higher setting for the first pass, then reduced the setting progressively milder for each subsequent pass (total of 3 passes). I had great shaves with this method. Close and comfortable.

I leave mine on 2 for my usual shaving. If I have a few days growth I will put it on 3-4 for the WTG pass, then down to 2.

I like to use my progress at 2 or 2.5, Ill turn it down a bit for my neck and upper lip. If I go three or so days without shaving, I turn it up to 3.5 or 4 and it really rips through my growth. I feel my skin also tolerates more aggression if I have not shaved for a few days. For everyday shaving I prefer a bit more mild razor, and its nice becasue with the progress you can have it any way you want.

Mergress comments please!

I'm quite embarrassed. I mistakenly had been thinking that "Mergress" was an insider's shorthand for Merkur Progress which is my everyday razor. But now I have learned that a Mergress is actually a customized, upgraded Progress. It's clear that the min purpose is a smoother, more precise adjustment . . . and possibly just aesthetically improving on the tacky plastic knob.

I'd love to hear more from proud Mergress owners

Ok, now I can answer properly. I was using my Progress at 1.5 - 2. Today I shipped it off for the Mergress upgrade. Had to shave with my Futur today. I must have learned a few things from B&B since I put it away. I came out with a DFS, no weepers, where before I thought the Futur was impossibly vicious. I used it at 1. I still look forward to getting my Mergress back, though

Just saw this post. I am a proud owner of two Mergresses. One long handled and one short. My first pas is on 2.5 and all subsequent passes are at 3, 3.5, and 4.

Top Bottom