What's new

Gillette OC 102 or 102a arrived today - wow, smooth.

The Post Office delivered a new to me Gillette Open Comb 102 or 102a - think it is the older one as it has a serial number. A quick scrubbing bubbles & toothbrush, toothpaste and toothbrush and alcohol bath and dry and I tried it out this afternoon. I had been cautioned to go easy as it is aggressive and put a milder blade in it. I went out and got a styptic pencil and some dollar store noxema (pre-shave - from other threads I read here). Had shaved twice yesterday and the second one before party was too quick with a Gillette Tech, so was going to wait, but felt compelled to try it out.

Did not do the regular shower before the shave - used some hot water to moisten the face and then rubbed on some of the Noxema on my face and let it sit on there while I put a new Derby blade in it and loaded up a cheap badger brush with Proraso. I face lathered up and went at it. A three pass shave and a two very small nicks and I was very happy with the results. Had my wife feel my face - something she humors me with doing as I am new to this and always amazed at how much better my shaves are. My 6 year old even told me that I had a 'baby butt smooth' shave!

My wife was not so happy with the Aqua Velva aftershave though - I think the term she used was it was a 'libido killer' :001_unsur.

Anyway - a few pics of the new addition:

$20141220_Shaving_G102a.jpg$20141220_Shaving_G102_2.jpg$20141220_GilletteOld102SerialNumber.jpg

Looking forward to using it again. Going to have to stop looking at eBay....

Yep, only the 102 was serial numbered. And I also think they're smoother than the 102a (thick cap) version.

Now you should find a Single Ring too.

Congrats!

Yep, only the 102 was serial numbered. And I also think they're smoother than the 102a (thick cap) version.

Now you should find a Single Ring too.

Congrats!

I have a few slim adjustables on the 'watch list'. but looking at some of the OC models with the new style bent down combs.

Thanks for the model confirmation.

I know they are different :001_smile - just want to add to the budding collection and try an adjustable - I do like the ones that you posted though.

The handle looks better, at least to me, on the single rings that you posted. It is kinda cool to think that I am using the type of razor that my great-grandfather could have used. I would imagine that there will not be too many things that we produce today that will stand the test of time like these older shaving razors do. Almost 95 years old and still in good shape and provides a very good shave.

Well - enjoyed the 102 so much - figured that I would try another newer version of the Gillette open comb razors. Won an auction tonight for a long comb New razor with a bar handle. Not many pictures of it - but took a chance. Lots of positive posts on it here of the forum and the price was not too bad.

$20141223Razor2.jpg

Try the razor with sharper brands than Derby next time! The more aggressive/efficient a razor is, the sharper blade you need or you might get small nicks.

An aggressive/efficient razor will cut more whiskers as it is cutting closer to the skin. There will be more resistance to move the razor over the face. If the blade is too dull you end up having some tugging, jumping, skipping and pulling. That is causing you to put more pressure and sudden jumps causes you to nick yourself.

When I used Derby blades I had weepers every shave as it was impossible to have precision. With more sharp brands the problem disappeared immediately.

Put a new Shark blade in the 102 this morning and got the worst cut to date - my fault on the cut as was rushing a bit. I did notice a lot of tugging on the 2nd pass against the grain on jawline area. Pretty good shave though - think the Astra performed a bit better in the limited testing (2 w/Astra in 102). Will try it again tomorrow with 2nd shave from Shark and see what happens. Bought some Feathers - so will try those out too. Looking forward to the New razor though! Thanks for the comments. Merry Christmas to all.

BTW - I like the NEW's handle better than the 102 old type's ball-end handle - larger diameter and seems to weigh more, but that may just be the combo of the head and handle weight of the NEW giving it a overall heavier feel.

Top Bottom