What's new

Ready for some scotch

I really want to get into drinking scotch. I am setting budget around 50 bucks a bottle for now. I will probably get 2-3 different brands to go through. As a new scotch drinker please list some recommendations for me that will be enjoyable and easy for the new drinker.

At $50 you're really limiting yourself when it comes to single malts. Scotches generally run $50+ with the better ones being in the $70-100 range. At that price you can try several blended whiskeys.

As for your requirements, look into Laphoriag Quarter Cask (one of my favorites) or 10yo, Glenmorangie Original or perhaps one of the other offerings like Nectar d'Or. You can also get Talisker 10yo and Highland Park 12yo, which are quite good.

I'd start with some of those as, in my opinion, tend to be some of the best starter whiskeys and they will give you a good variety.

Of all those rdeakle listed, I'd say the Highland Park 12yr old. EXCELLENT Whisky, both for noobs, and those with experience.

Laphroaig is very good as well, but probably a bit much for some starting out. :) Too much smoke, too much peat, too medicinal.

For blended the Black Grouse is very nice, and in Ohio, about $30.

I enjoy Monkey Shoulder blended scotch. Its very mild and easy to drink. you can find it around $30 or cheaper I believe.

I'd avoid Laphroaig at first. Try something milder first, then work your way into the campfire.

Last edited:
Of all those rdeakle listed, I'd say the Highland Park 12yr old. EXCELLENT Whisky, both for noobs, and those with experience.

It is indeed excellent. And the good part about it is that it taste a like a little bit of everything. The 18 year old is even better, but it amazes me how there is about an $80 price gap between the 12 and 18yo. I've had the pleasure of having a bottle of both, and at $50 the 12 year old is hard to be for non-peated whiskeys.

I'd avoid Laphroaig at first. Try something milder first, then work your way into the campfire.

This is actually sound advice. After all, once you try a peated whiskey, you will only drink more peated whiskeys and miss out on every thing else. One does not even need to drink a peated whiskey. The smell alone is enough to captivate you. :lol:

Last edited:
+1 on the Monkey Shoulder. I'm enjoying some right now, and it is good stuff.

I'm drinking mine out of a vintage W.L. Weller glass from the Stitzel-Weller Distillery, though. The Bourbon gods are frowning at me, but I hope they will forgive my indiscretion.

Great stuff so far. Keep it coming guys. Shoot let's by.p this up to 75 bucks. I should go shopping in a few days. Looking forward to getting a few things to try.

Monkey Shoulder is my favorite, and it really opens up with just a drop of water. Chivas is a good one for beginners too. If you don't like it, your only out about $25. Black Grouse is another inexpensive blend that is good, but i think it has a flavor that some people probably would like.

I like Aberfeldy, and its not expensive. I didn't like Highland Park very much. Glenmorangie isn't bad for under $50.

Really the only way you'll find what you like is by trying them. A lot that i was told I'd like, i didn't. But the good thing is its fun to try new scotch.

Great stuff so far. Keep it coming guys. Shoot let's by.p this up to 75 bucks. I should go shopping in a few days. Looking forward to getting a few things to try.

Well if that's how you want to go. Lagavulin 16yo is probably the best scotch around today IMHO, and in Louisiana is about $80. It simply can't be beat (peated or otherwise, and it is peated). At $75 I'd still recommend you try the original I listed. They are great examples of their regions. Then you can go up in age from there. Glenmorangie makes an 18yo which sells for around $80 where I live. I just polished off the 3rd bottle of mine tonight, and I plan on replacing it. Highland Park makes a 15yo which is extremely good which can be found for around $75, however I still recommend the 12yo for starting out. I'd also still look at Talisker, just an older cask. Springbank makes an AMAZING (12 & 15yo) scotch which can be had around that price point as well particularly the 15yo.

For peated whiskeys, the above mentioned Lagavulin 16yo is excellent. Coal Ila 12yo, which is mentioned in the ralfystuff video above, is GREAT. The Coal Ila 12yo is a great introduction into peated whiskeys (make sure to get the peated version as there are 2, unpeated and peated), as is the Laphroaig.. Ardbeg 10yo & Uigeadail (which is believe is a bit more than $75) is good as well. Ardbeg claims to be the most peated whiskey on the market today. I've not had the 10yo which is in your price point, but I've had others drams (Uigeadail ~$80) which were quite good.

I truly enjoy the peated whiskeys and if I had to rank them, it would be Lagavulin 16yo, Coal Ila 12yo, Ardbeg Uigeadail, and Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

To be honest, go to your local spirits store and have a look. The best way to get into scotch is just to try them. Find what you like best, and purchase scotches of as similar style. You really cant make a wrong choice these days. Scotches are a bit like shaving products; you're going to end up with many. Soon you will start exploring many other brands (there are many that are great that we have not stated here), and find what you like best.

Edit: Look at ralfy, he has 400+ great reviews of whiskeys. Youtube ralfystuff. Excellent recommendation, and has a review for just about every scotch that can be had.

Last edited:
Lagavulin 16yo is probably the best scotch around today IMHO...

No argument here but know, drinking Lagavulin 16 is like chewing on a piece of wet mossy bark from the north side of a old oak tree from a partially charred but now damp scottish forest. It's not for the faint of heart, but there are few peers. :drool:

proxy.php

The Lagavulin is fantastic, only unrivalled by their own distillers edition. The Ardbeg 10-years is also great.

Top Bottom