What's new

Notched #19?

I know hardly anything about British OC Crats but here are pictures I lifted off the bay of what I think is a #19 but I thought the #19 has an unnotched center bar. It has a flat bottom plate like the #19 but the lack of wings is throwing me off.
$$_1 (1).JPG
$$_1.JPG

Help educate me.

I haven't seen one like that myself.
I have the silver version of this same razor, but I can guarantee the handle never look this reddish, under any light conditions.
Unless the handle has severely brassing...

Here is mine:
$DSCN0386.jpg$DSCN0377.jpg$DSCN0380.jpg$DSCN0391.jpg

This one is taken with flasher:
$DSCN0370.jpg

Last edited:
I contacted the seller and he said it is gold with patient number 400,621

Also the British chart says that the #15 is unnotch.

That chart also has some wrong info. 1936 #2 and #3 sets were also notched as the silver #15, and their bottom plates are flat as the #15 too, not diamond stamped.

The Populars aren't rhodium plated, nor the #58... there's probably more.

I contacted the seller and he said it is gold with patient number 400,621

Also the British chart says that the #15 is unnotch.

Yes, but #15 has wings on the center bar.
Just like mine, the razor you pasted has no wings on the center bar. I believe they the same, except for the plating.

Could be an earlier version of the #19, I have no idea.
That's what I'm thinking too. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
The razor shown in Post 3 and the razor called a #1 linked to in the B&B wiki each have an unnotched center bar. I thought the notch refers to bit cut out of each side of the center bar so that the blade can be inserted onto the center bar without touching the blade. The #16 has notches.

The razors with wings on the center bar, such as the 15 & 21 do not have notches on the center bar.

Looking at the photo OP has posted, there may actually be wings on the center bar (need a shot just looking at the head from the side, or the top) as are present on #10's very nice #19

The razor shown in Post 3 and the razor called a #1 linked to in the B&B wiki each have an unnotched center bar. I thought the notch refers to bit cut out of each side of the center bar so that the blade can be inserted onto the center bar without touching the blade. The #16 has notches.

The razors with wings on the center bar, such as the 15 & 21 do not have notches on the center bar.

Looking at the photo OP has posted, there may actually be wings on the center bar (need a shot just looking at the head from the side, or the top) as are present on #10's very nice #19

And right you are, Sir. Actually I was missing that little detail about the straight center bar of the #1, #2 and #3 sets. No other razor has a center bar like these, that I've seen at least.

However, from that picture in the OP, I still think it doesn't have the wings. The picture is not very clear though.

Yes, the pictures are unclear; only the second one is helpful. I think the razor has wings b/c if you see the shiny part of the second pic what looks like the edge of something, either a wing or a center bar. But look where it is, appears off center. If that edge were the center bar, it would appear to be in the middle of the razor, if not it would seem to be the edge of a wing, which would be off center. Of course, a clearer pic would make this academic.

Top Bottom