What's new

Great Tasting French Roast Coffees

I'm looking for a good French roast coffee. A friend of mine likes French roast coffee and says he hasn't found a good tasting one. I would like to let him know of any good ones you guys recommend.

Any recommendations welcome.

Update: my friend says he likes Starbucks French roast but is looking for an alternative because he says Starbucks is expensive

Last edited:
Out in L/A you have Intelligentsia and Klatch which are both great roasting houses that have local/central roasting locations as well as coffee house outlets.

Google your area for those two as there may be a coffee shop near you (the coffee houses carry the roast also).

Blue Bottle is another local roasting house that has their coffee at some of the local coffee shops in and around L.A. Call around and see what your local coffee house has on the shelf.

Anything 4 days old and fresher is about like roasting your own accept they know what they are doing.

Important is the type of bean used. Many beans can't handle French roast without tasting harsh or ashy. Sumatran can famously handle a lot of heat but there are others.

Perhaps your friend would actually prefer a dark roast, but something less dark (less roasted) than French roast? Unlike French cuisine which is known for being refined and nuanced, its coffee namesake has much of the subtle flavor roasted out. Even though it can be quite good when done right.

Perhaps your friend would actually prefer a dark roast, but something less dark (less roasted) than French roast? Unlike French cuisine which is known for being refined and nuanced, its coffee namesake has much of the subtle flavor roasted out. Even though it can be quite good when done right.

You are correct. My friend loves dark roast coffee and espresso coffee.

Peet's is ok, but I usually avoid French Roast as it rarely has any of the original bean flavor left.

There is some great info regarding French Roast on the page linked below.

http://www.aldocoffee.com/2010/01/what-does-french-roast-mean.html

http://www.coffeereview.com/dark-roasts/

I second that. While some folks enjoy French Roast, at that level of essentially burning the beans, they will all taste very similar. Just find a local shop and pick up some fresh beans. The freshness of the beans will contribute more to a good French roast than the type of bean will.

I second that. While some folks enjoy French Roast, at that level of essentially burning the beans, they will all taste very similar. Just find a local shop and pick up some fresh beans. The freshness of the beans will contribute more to a good French roast than the type of bean will.

Thanks very good advice

Top Bottom