What's new

Took the Dive and bought mitchells wool fat. tips wanted haha.

hey guys, i went for it and bought mitchells wool fat.. i did buy it today though so its coming in after dec 27.. oh well. but i would love some tips on this soap.. i know alot of ppl have opinions on how to lather this and id love to hear them and learn.. also bought the TOBS ETON and that gets here on dec 22 my bday haha.. awesome!

I soak the puck in their ceramic dish with hot tap water while I'm in the shower. You might check the Clubs & Brotherhood section for the "Order of the Fat" thread, there is a lot of information there.

Happy Early Birthday. Load heavily, don't give up on it until you have given it your best shot.

Try Frank's suggestion if all else fails.

Happy birthday!!

1) grate puck into container

2) soak puck and brush while showering

3) load like crazy if u have hard water like I do. And add water slowly til it's slick and creamy. It's an odd soap at first but don't give up on it cause u will get the hang of it. I use it about once a week or so and its a very good soap.

Just a tip I generally use a boar brush as its a little easier for me to get good lather. I can do it with a badger as well but a boat is just faster for me.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
No need to grate the puck -- it works fine as is and will last longer. I had one that had been grated and near the end it turned into a crumbly mush.

Just try to use it often as the moisture from the previous use helps a lot.

proxy.php
Happy Birthday!

dont grate your MWF from the getgo.
just let it soak for a few minutes. Then load and lather.
Enjoy!

...Just try to use it often as the moisture from the previous use helps a lot.

This! This is a soap that really benefits from daily use. Keeping it hydrated takes all the worry out of lathering it. I found that by day three it was nicely moist and it was clear sailing from there.

Some great tips guys thanks. So basically keep the soak the puck in warm to hot water and keep it moist, load a lot cuz I have hard water, use a boar and don't shave it. Haha I was thinking though, I would never want to shave a soap down. When I read that I was like omg. Imcnok happy bday as well!! And thanks for the early bday wishes guys. Thought I'd buy myself a little gift haha.

Take the puck out and grate it into your dish/container.

Frank

Woah woah woah. Its only my opinion but why grate the puck? Its perfect as it is, surely by grating it, it will then hold more water?

The only advice is to shake your brush of water and load up the brush, add water as you go, I find I dont need a great deal of water to whip it into a thick lather. Let us know how you get along with it.
Also happy birthday for Monday.

Woah woah woah. Its only my opinion but why grate the puck? Its perfect as it is, surely by grating it, it will then hold more water?

The only advice is to shake your brush of water and load up the brush, add water as you go, I find I dont need a great deal of water to whip it into a thick lather. Let us know how you get along with it.
Also happy birthday for Monday.

Will do. But i believe ordering around Christmas was a mistake haha. Unless I wanted a 30 dollar shipping charge the only option was to receive it on dec 29 to jan 2. Like everywhere lol.. It stinks.

I have hard water so I used distilled water to soak and lather the puck. I just put a small amount on top of the puck during my shower and then lathered it upside down for 45-60 seconds when first starting to use the puck. As it softens you can load less. The puck slowly expanded to fill my ceramic dish. The next day there would be cracks in the soap since it was pulling the moisture into the puck.

I used warm water and face lathered it. I started with seemingly thin lather but it still worked great so don't be afraid to try shaving with less than a perfect lather.

And lastly, ENJOY :D

Will do. But i believe ordering around Christmas was a mistake haha. Unless I wanted a 30 dollar shipping charge the only option was to receive it on dec 29 to jan 2. Like everywhere lol.. It stinks.

Good things come to those that wait. :thumbup1:

Have you ever tried grating the puck?

Frank

I haven't grated mwf, I wouldn't want to change a thing about it tbh. I have grated soaps before and I didn't like what happened to the soap. The consistency changes, it holds more water and it doesn't last as long. Each to there own but its not for me.

Top Bottom