What's new

More stropping or time for a hone?

Lapping film is great for honing. Not as great at removing burrs, chips, edge deformities etc that appear to be happening with this razor. Sounds like you have a fine array with which to tackle this job.

Paste te after the 12K is up to personal preference.

That will work, then shave with Arco and only Arco, because it's the best. And only use clubman after shave. And cold water shave is the only way to shave.....
Loosely translated, go figure it out yourself is what you are saying?

Last edited:
No we don't want to say that at all, try out your skills and see if it works, worst that can happen is your in the same place you are now bud. If you can't fix it, someone here can.

Lapping film is great for honing. Not as great at removing burrs, chips, edge deformities etc that appear to be happening with this razor. Sounds like you have a fine array with which to tackle this job.

Paste te after the 12K is up to personal preference.
I haven't purchased any of these things yet, was thinking of doing so after the holidays. I don't really want to send my razor our for honing, I'd rather learn myself. In your opinion, will these things suffice for bringing this razor to shave ready?

Time for a honing session IMO .
Get a nice bevel setter and gently remove the required metal until a uniform bevel appears. cheers -CAM-

Success! I got a set of hones from SRD and now it shaves great again, I have used it three times. Is it odd that I was able to hone it first try? It seems to be slowly degrading the more I strop it so a ordered a couple of different strops to compare with. One with a heavy draw because I'd like some more feedback...

Might be a good time to invest in a stone/stones if you don't have one/some already. However, if you rolled an edge stropping, you will do more damage with a hone if used incorrectly. Also would start with a cheapie blade :)

I have Naniwa 1k, 5k, 8k and 12k. I am successful bringing an edge back and getting a comfortable shave with the stones. I just can't keep it very long. This is what the middle of my strop looks like:
$image.jpg

If the edge is only lasting a few shaves then you are doing something wrong.

Could be a foil edge

Could be a bad edge to begin with

Could be bad stropping

Could be bad shaving

Could be all of the above

I got some new strops and my edges are good now. I also started using a tad bit of pressure and loosened up on the strop ever so slightly. Seems to give a nicer edge...

If that razor really does have such a dramatic rolled edge that you can see clearly in the photo, it is toast. Rolling a super fine piece of steel nearly 90 degrees one way or the other would have weakened the steel, and rolling it back or straightening it into position will create even more metal fatique. Go back to square one, bevel set.

Top Bottom