What's new

Sony shelved "The Interview"

I really hope this doesn't turn into a political debate thread because it's not intended to be one and I will not be making any references to political parties here.

I just wonder what are all of your thoughts on Sony not releasing as intended "The Interview" after receving threats from North Korea that 9/11 style attacks will occur if that movie is shown in theaters. I don't really think North Korea has the capability to pull such grand attacks on us, and I also question whether or not they have enough capability to pull small scale attacks. I'm a little upset that Sony caved to a terrorist threat. Most of the mighty countries around the globe have a sort of policy to not submit to terrorist demands. I don't know if the US Government had any involvement in having the movie pulled from its release. I feel as if Sony should have just laughed and released it anyway, a day earlier!

But then I stop and think, "Well, what if they did release it and the attacks did occur." Sony would feel horrible and there would be so many legal claims against them that the company would collapse.

So what do you guys think? Are they right in pulling it or should they ignore North Korea's demands and release it?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I think it was more that a vast majority of theaters decided they wouldn't show it due to the threats. i think the U.S. government should mount a massive hack attack on the entire North Korean computer infrastructure and bring them to their knees

IMO, it's going to be really hard to have a discussion on this subject without getting political. I can't imagine this thread lasting long.

I will say that it appears as though the hackers gained access to a lot more than just stuff related to this movie. Maybe there's some sensitive stuff we don't know about.

Without getting political:

They should have shown it, North Korea does not have the ability to launch the attack. Its a movie, Its for fun.

IMO, it's going to be really hard to have a discussion on this subject without getting political. I can't imagine this thread lasting long.

I will say that it appears as though the hackers gained access to a lot more than just stuff related to this movie. Maybe there's some sensitive stuff we don't know about.

Heard on the radio the other day that they were able to access 2 Terabytes worth of data but has only released about 10GB worth so far. So, they have a lot!

They should have released it. Poitics aside, we can't have others determining what we will and want publish, exhibit, say. What is next? Riots like in Europe when someone publishes a cartoon that some dislike?

I'm guessing the Hackers got some pretty incriminating data off their computers and using it as blackmail...I would like to see the movie...can't be worse than Team America :D

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
you give in to blackmail and they allways come back for more.

they should flood the media markets with it for free and ask people to donate the price of admission to there favorite charity.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
What's funny- that a stupid movie about hypothetically assassinating a despot would cause such a stir.

What's not funny- what would really happen to someone in N. Korea who would even tell a joke about said despot.

Look at society as a whole today. Everyone is getting offended by what others say or do. People are being told not to say this or that for fear that you are going to offend someone. All I have to say about it is everyone needs to put on their big boy/big girl pants and quit getting offended so easy.

Years ago I came to a realization that there are just a few people whose opinion matters to me. I listen to what they say and nicely ignore everyone else.

At this point... Sony might as well just "leak" the movie onto the internet, and let everyone watch it for free.

As Vez2 said I would just post it on the internet, have the films rights changed to public domain or creative commons license and LOL TROLL...

I feel like there is more to this. Perhaps Sony has a lot more to hide and are afraid that the hackers may expose this.

What's funny- that a stupid movie about hypothetically assassinating a despot would cause such a stir.

What's not funny- what would really happen to someone in N. Korea who would even tell a joke about said despot.

If you ever get a chance, watch Camp 14: Total Control. It is amazing what North Korea does to its own citizens. The movie is currently available for streaming on Netflix.

I'm really hoping that it turns out to be some punk kid in his basement is doing all this and it's actually the greatest prank of all time. Who knows, it could be Franco behind it all. That guy seems to be pretty crazy nuts!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Journalist from North Korea requested an interview with Sony president to discuss the issue.

... Sony declined.

:001_rolle

Top Bottom