What's new

I asked a question of America's Test Kitchen

Hi folks!

Merry Chanukhah (sp), Yuletide, Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

I wrote a note to the 'gurus' at America's Test Kitchen, and here it is:
----------

I live in an apt. bldg. that was built in the 1970's. The electric elements on my range top are:

1 x 7-inch width, 3 x 5-inch width.

Quandry is:

I've always been told to 'match the pan bottoms to the element size'. It is suggested through your show, that the optimum skillet/pan size in both cast iron AND a Tramontina, is a 12-incher. I KNOW that a LODGE 10 1/4-inch cast iron pan has a bottom measurement of just over 6 inches, as does a LODGE cast iron 'chef pan'. Is there a way for me, to 'correctly' use a 12--inch pan, as suggested by Mr. Reid, with either pan 'hanging out in the air', and not getting any of the heat from the transfer directly from the electric element, or should I stay with the 10-inch size pans?

Thank you for your time.

------------

Here is the response I received:

Thank you for your email! Our recipes are developed in the pans that are specified in the recipe (ex: 12-inch, 10-inch). So I would recommend using the specified pan for the best results. The size of your burner may not be an issue when using pans that retain heat well, such as cast iron or clad pans. However, with pans that don't retain heat well, such as aluminum or thin metal, you may notice more of a problem with hot spots.

I hope that helps and happy cooking!

------------------------

Did I miss something here? Was there a subliminal idea that passed by me? Or did the responder at ATK, ansewer the question in the manner of a political figure?

Now ... what say YE?

TYFYR's.

I use an iron "plate" to "imitate" the french style flat plate stove to enlarge my heat source for large saute pans (12"-14" bottoms).

You may look into getting one for your electric as it will "stretch" your heat larger than the actual heat source.

proxy.php

I used Nordic wares heat diffusers on my electric range to do what turtle is talking about. Basically just a metal cap for burners to distribute the heat over a wider area. Don't try to use burner covers like a friend did... Didn't work out well at all for her.

Then last year I had the pleasure of dragging the old electric out in the yard and beating it with a sledge hammer while the gas range was being installed.

For fans of the show, their cook books are among the best I've seen. My wife has well over a hundred cookbooks, and the show's books are her favorites. I'd recommend The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001-2015.

remember the Kirby vacuums? the new system now retails for $3500
haha, they are still around. They accosted me in my house about a year ago. Tricked their way into my house. Next thing I know they are vacuuming every room and laying out those stupid pads everywhere to show me how dirty my house is. I don't care how dirty it is. I'm not buying a $3000 vacuum!

1. Thanks to all of you who have answered, opined, and interjected in this thread!
2. (I wrote a note to Lodge, concerning possibly using a 12-incher on the 7-inch burner. Will let you know the results.)
3. I will look into the diffuser, as suggested. QUESTION: Would a Lodge 'trivet' work?
4. when i applied for a sales position with Kirby, there was no other pay, except for your sales percentage. So, at the time, as one looking for work, and not having a paycheck to cover all the expenses, (unemployment checks back then were not for anythiing but to get you off the sofa and back to earning a wage, quickly.), it didn't work for me.

Top Bottom