What's new

A Very Weird "Antipasto" Recipe

Thought I'd share this strange recipe with my friends in The Mess Hall. The provenance of the recipe is unclear, but I believe my grandmother received it from someone she played bridge with. My family has been making this at Christmas, and only Christmas, for years as an appetizer. My Dad is making it this year and I'll be sure to post a picture.

I'll be honest: it doesn't sound good on paper and it doesn't smell particularly good when being prepared. But it's got a strong and fishy/acidic/vinegar-y flavor that I enjoy. Make at your own risk, gents.

"Antipasto"
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, diced
1 can anchovies, chopped fine
1 can black olives, drained
1 small jar pickled onions, drained (optional)
1 cup sweet mixed pickles, drained
1 small jar stuffed green olives, drained
2 cans Italian tuna (tonno), drained
1 can sardines, drained
2 jars artichokes, drained
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained

In a saucepan bring the first five ingredients to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 2-3 minutes.

Remove from heat and let cool. Place in a bowl or serving dish, cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve cold/room temperature.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I like this recipe. Its looks very salty and a little goes a long way. I would eat it like a dip...maybe with a little hot sauce to give it some kick.:laugh:

I knew I might be able to goad you into trying it! We serve it with crackers and/or Italian bread. Some hot sauce might be nice. I'll put some on the table this year and see if anyone gives it a try.

As requested, here is a picture of the antipasto. My father made it this evening; it will sit in the fridge letting the flavors meld until tomorrow night. We'll eat it with Italian cold cuts (salami, mortadella, hot capicola, etc.) and minestrone soup.

$antipasto.jpg

Top Bottom