What's new

Nikon users, buying a D700 or a D600

Do you shoot video? HDR? I'm assuming you already are invested in SD cards for memory, the 700 takes compact flash cards.

600 does video, in camera HDR, has 2 SD card slots and is a little smaller and lighter with double the MP. You're talking about cameras released 4 years apart. Weather sealing is the same for both bodies, shots per charge about the same, IQ is slightly better with the 600 but I personally love the color rendition of the 700. For you coming from the 7100, I would strongly suggest the 600 or maybe the 800.

The 700 does not do video, but with a lower MP sensor file sizes will be smaller. It has a very nice layout of controls and a bigger viewfinder (0.72x) but less coverage (95%). It also has less start up time, shutter lag and only 5 fps vs 5.5fps on the 600. Personally I would go for the 700 but only because I still shoot a D200 and the 700 is an easy move up in handling for me and I don't shoot video, already have a bunch of CF cards, and am familiar with its color reproduction (very similar to the D200.)

Legion

Staff member
I would probably choose the d600, but shoot a few test shots, stopped down, of the sky, or some white paper to see if the sensor is splattered with oil or other crud. This can be a problem with that model. If the sensor looks clean, go with the newer camera.

I recently picked up a D750 after shooting with a 5D MKII for 4 years. I’ve thought about switching previously to the D700, but the lack of video features kept me on the Canon path. Sorry, that’s about all the advice I can give you. I’ve only been a Nikon person since Black Friday.

video is a non-issue. if i want video I'll buy a video camera. my initial thought was the 700, which is fairly comparable to the D7100 it's replacing and using the extra to replace glass that will need to go. but if i can resist the NAS and RAD, I should just bank the money for the 610

Wait, what? Where are you finding these low prices on either camera? The D700 is still 1000 dollars on KEH even in bargain condition.

I'd like to own the D700, myself, but have a D7100 due to budget.

Prices should fall more soon. I doubt it is long for this world, if what insiders have told me is true.

it will be around. Nikons strategy is to have

3XXX - entry aps-c
5XXX - Prosumer aps-c
7XXX - advanced aps-c

6XX - Entry FX
7XX - Prosumer
8XX - Advanced
DX - Professional

well, I'm the new owner of a D600. paid 882 on the bay.
one owner who bought it in April of 2013 and never had any problems with it. Never suffered oily spots problem on a sensor but used free Nikon's shutter replacement program just in case in June of this year.
The shutter actuations on camera are 7,403. I'm very happy esp since the remote, cards and batteries from the 7100 will work with the 600

Legion

Staff member
it will be around. Nikons strategy is to have

3XXX - entry aps-c
5XXX - Prosumer aps-c
7XXX - advanced aps-c

6XX - Entry FX
7XX - Prosumer
8XX - Advanced
DX - Professional

Welll.... I've been told that the 6xx rep was so badly hurt by the messed up sensor debacle that they will be removing that number from the lineup. They do not need five full frame models, which is what they currently have.

they want an entry level FX. at 2k+ the 750 doesn't qualify for entry level. the odd knife in the drawer is the 8XX series.. basically they are the tech showoff model.

Legion

Staff member
they want an entry level FX. at 2k+ the 750 doesn't qualify for entry level. the odd knife in the drawer is the 8XX series.. basically they are the tech showoff model.
You are assuming that the D750 will stay at the same price point once the D610 is removed.

I have had my D600 for over a year and it has performed flawlessly. I don't think there is a better camera for the money, anywhere.

I would suggest checking around for a used D610.
They are great cameras and you can buy safely from a reputable online seller like KEH Camera, B&H, Adorama or Amazon.
Some of the 600's had a little oil slinging problem in the shutter mech.
Have Fun,
I Love my D3S
Mike

Top Bottom