What's new

No guard DE?

Yes imagine a chopstick kamisori but with the manouverability of a safety razor...

No, my friend you have it all wrong.

You cannot beat the maneuverability of a pair of chopsticks when wielded with skill.

Last edited by a moderator:
In other news...
...I just followed Guru17's lead and used the RiMei devette with a reversed baseplate
proxy.php

Thought I detected a bit of chatter but it still worked superbly.

Used a Derby blade this time - a competent performer with the devette and certainly smooth enough but not as good as the Supermax Super Platinum.

Should we start a Devette Owners Club?
That would be DOC which is a fitting tribute to the man who started this thread and changed our shaving lives forever!

Today I used the BBX with my UFO Kaiser handle in aircraft aluminum, a lightweight at just a shade over 1oz (shown below with the 2011 R41 head). It's a nice combination. My two passes were carefree, but I ran into trouble on the touch-up, when I scraped off quite a bit of skin on my neck and upper lip. It wasn't the BBX's fault; the blade just had one too many shaves on it. It was a Treet Platinum Stainless -- very smooth and sharp, by the way -- with two Fatip shaves in its past. My experience so far is that I can't get more than two shaves out of any blade on the BBX. No big deal since I hardly ever push a blade past three shaves anyway.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to bite the bullet and try one of mine guard less today. I used a razorock travel razor and left off the base plate.

One pass BBS!? Is this thing for real?

I feel like I just turned a page in the never ending story.

It was a bit scary loading the blade, but the shave was buttery smooth and not nearly as scary as I expected.

One pass BBS!? Is this thing for real?

Yep, it's real. Just that before the devette, you'd need to master the two hand shave technique (right hand doing the WTG pass and left hand doing the XTG/ATG).

Devettes are something special though, so one pass BBS shaves became the norm.

Congrats!

I love "Guardless"
Yeah, that accommodates the crazy freebladers as well as leverage lunatics like myself. It's etymologic origin is "Dauntless" from that movie... I can't remember, and a special dig on P&G for what they're doing to shaving. I got to try the Guard razor because of my Movember "major award." Easy way to keep the blade off my face when I had healing nicks, but as sure as the shine after a devette shave, the burn after attempting a close shave was fierce. Same old story, same old song and dance.

Another shave tonight with the BBX + UFO Kaiser handle in aircraft aluminum. Really took my time and was rewarded with an unqualified BBS.

The BBX, like the 2011 R41, is unforgiving of false movements, however slight. Got a small cut on my upper lip by landing the razor a bit too hard before starting a stroke. This was small potatoes, though; bottom line: the shave was superb.

This thread encouraged me to try a moderately aggressive DE with a steep angle. I don't have an R41 but I used a RR SLAB (with the baseplate) and had my smoothest shave with it yet. Will try again tomorrow. I might even, one day, try the DEvette / guardless approach.

I finished using a Devette, from the pass around, I found it to be a great shave. Care must be taken, but as long as you go with a shallow angle and use long strokes. The shaves went without a hiccup. Oh, use as little pressure as possible. I used an Astra blade, for two shaves. I would recommend all to at least try one. If nothing else, it will let you know if your technique is good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom