What's new

No guard DE?

I can try that, it is not scary, because it is the same open blade like with devette. With shallow angle it should not flip. The problem is I cant see any chance to get better result than devette. So I will stay with slanted devette for now, unless I want to get some more adrenalin in my blood :))))

I've been waiting for weeks and weeks for my Feather blades to come in. I think a Feather Devette will be perfect.... if only Hong Kong post was quicker!!!

::goes to check mailbox again::

I don't know that I would be ready to try Feathers in my Wolfman devette yet. I find Astra SP's to be sharp enough. I even got some great shaves with Derby's. I am still working on my devette technique.

A major breakthrough in devette technique this morning - I used full SKIN STRETCHING for every part of the shave as I do when using a straight.

The result takes devette shaving to the next level for me. Now the razor is beautifully smooth on the face while shaving and the shave is EVEN CLOSER!
proxy.php

This is the complete answer to the problem I'd been having with the devette - it was not as smooth as the R41 or my fierce interwar bakelites and the regrowth was slightly patchy.
Those razors are marginally less efficient than the devette but the presence of guards stretches the skin, giving a smoother and more even shave.

But now with skin stretching the devette gives the SMOOTHEST and SMARTEST shave there is as well as the closest.

Are you other guys skin stretching already and I'm just late to the party?
Skin stretching takes the devette shave to the next dimension.

This confirms another vital fact about the devette - it is NOT a safety razor, it just has a handle in common.
Treat it like a straight and it will reward you with the very best!

A major breakthrough in devette technique this morning - I used full SKIN STRETCHING for every part of the shave as I do when using a straight. ...

Interesting. Will give this a try tomorrow morning.

Update: First-class shave with a devette + Indian Green. It was smooth and comfortable, which I attribute mainly to the excellence of the blade. My skin-stretching technique is more grimace-and-crane than manual manipulation, but the result, in any case, was superb.

Last edited:
Today I got my first cut from devette :))) Minor one, just to remember that the right angle has not lost its importance. I dont like to be cut, so the Sputnik blade went to trash after this 24th shave.

A major breakthrough in devette technique this morning - I used full SKIN STRETCHING for every part of the shave as I do when using a straight.

The result takes devette shaving to the next level for me. Now the razor is beautifully smooth on the face while shaving and the shave is EVEN CLOSER!

The great thing about Marcus is he keep generating wonderful shaving experiments!
I tried this skin stretching thing. I don't have much experience with straight shaving, so the only real difference for me was on the first pass. The other 2 passes already involved some skin stretching by virtue of moving my head one way or another. So, this was not a revelation for me, perhaps because I don't know what I'm doing.
The shave was fantastic, but not much different than any other devette shave ...

Sometimes it just happen to travel by plane. The idea I cant take my razors just makes me sad.
So I have thought about that for some time. And here I am with solution:

Bic Metal disposable razor has one blade and a metal bar for "protection". Happily I can remove the bar without even using pliers and here I have a peace of disposable devette.

Bic Metal before the surgery:

View attachment 598181

No safety bar:

View attachment 598182

The bar can be easily attached back as not to cause any suspicions by the anxious officers.
I am happy traveler now :)))))

Last edited:
Sometimes it just happen to travel by plane. The idea I cant take my razors just makes me sad.

Bic Metal disposable razor has one blade and a metal bar for "protection". Happily I can remove the bar without even using pliers and here I have a peace of disposable devette.

View attachment 598181

No safety bar:

View attachment 598182

The bar can be easily attached back as not to cause any suspicions by the anxious officers.
Superb! You've just created the disposable devette :)

View attachment 598181

No safety bar:

View attachment 598182

This is brilliant. Is there anything you HAVEN'T thought of? :)

Todd R.

Beautiful devette shave this morning:
proxy.php

The Lord blade is working really well here and the shave was very smooth for the first time - perhaps my technique has improved.

And yes this is still the greatest DE shave on earth!

Finally got around to "fixing" the Rimei and tried it out this morning. Had a great shave and for some reason, thought it went even better than the "BBNY Double Edge Straight." Still using a Feather blade so I didn't expect any difference. Either it was the ultra light weight of the Rimei or the fact that this was my first shave in a couple weeks. (Yeah, I know, I know... shameful; but work's been busy.) With luck I'll get another shave in tomorrow and know for sure.

Using a devette really and truly teaches the concept of light pressure and shallow angle. I've found my technique has improved greatly. Perhaps this should be required for all new shavers. :w00t:

Using a devette really and truly teaches the concept of light pressure and shallow angle. I've found my technique has improved greatly. Perhaps this should be required for all new shavers. :w00t:
+1
The devette makes all subsequent shaving better.
It's interesting that the modified RiMei outperforms the BB that inspired it :)

Top Bottom