What's new

No guard DE?

Yeah, these base plates are just an obstacles to get a good shave. They are evil, causing pain for a man in form of weepers, irritation, bumps and learning curves :lol:

Devette magic - guaranteed!

Yes, indeed. My only objection to the ATT devette as I configured it is an aesthetic one: a pile of washers is an eyesore when juxtaposed with the hand-turned elegance that is the ATT. Oh, for a :ouch1: genuine :ouch1: ATT :ouch1: devette base plate!

A 5/16" stainless hex nut, instead of a stack of washers, for the base plate. Works very well.

Tip: With either washers or hex nut, to avoid a slight deformation of the blade, tighten the handle only as much as necessary to secure the blade.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, a couple weeks ago I came across that BB Double Straight razor on Amazon while shopping for some blades. ***!!? was my reaction.

As fate would have it, shortly after I came across this thread. I read with relish each and every posting here for two or three days and got excited! Oh, this sounds like nirvana. Could it be???

Ordered a Rimea, more blades, and then saw a newer model of the BB that has a guard on one side and none on the other for only $24. HERE!!! TAKE ALL MY MONEYZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111!!!!one!!!!11!!!

I got the razor on Tuesday and, due to my horrendous work schedule only got around to shaving yesterday. Loaded it up with a Persona Blue and proceeded to shave like it was 3017. First though was, this handle is HUGE! Shave felt great except I felt the blade was a little bit too chatty. The base and top plates don't exactly mesh together well and the blade is a bit crooked no matter how much I tried to adjust it. I didn't worry too much about the crookedness though, really doesn't matter since it's the only thing touching my face.

In the end, I got a great shave with only very minor irritation. Managed to slice into my lip a bit where I had a pimple emerging but other than that no other cuts or weepers. Felt great all day today and couldn't wait for my second round.

Tonight I looked around and found that a tech ball-end handle and top plate fit perfectly with the BB base plate and mounted it up with an Astra SP. Spent extra time in the shower under the hottest water I could stand, whipped up a huge batch of MWF and then ....

Not saying I got a BAD shave but it was a bit uncomfortable. I don't know if it was the new blade, the fact that I didn't have much stubble following last night's great shave or if I pushed too hard during touch-up. I've been DE shaving for almost a year now, and have gotten used to witch hazel feeling like water and only a slight, enjoyable sting from AS. Well, the WH felt like my usual AS and the AS gave me hints of my first few DE experience when I hit the ceiling from the intense sting!!!

It's several hours later now and I have a great, BBS shave. in fact, very possibly the best shave I've ever had! My skin is still slightly sore but not red or anything serious.

So the verdict?

Jury is still out.

Tomorrow I plan to use the same blade as today and see if it mellows out a bit. If it bites again I'll switch back to the BB top and bottom plates and see if that makes a difference. Next step would be to go back to a Persona Blue on the Tech until my batch of Feathers gets here. I suspect the super sharp Feathers will work great on the devette.

Meanwhile, I have a question on blade angle. A number of you mentioned you use a steep angle with the devettes while others said super shallow. Can you quantify your angles? Can we get a show of hands on steep vs shallow? Do you change your angle for different passes? Sure, what works for you won't necessarily work for anyone else but just curious.

Signed,
A Prospective Lifelong Devettist

Steep angle for me wherever possible - absolutely no irritation and super efficient :)

+1. Plus a million, in fact.

@Tony_M: I gave up on the BBXB (one-sided devette) because of the bad blade positioning -- not enough blade exposure on the devette side. I guess there's a reason these razors are steeply discounted. In any event, keep us posted on your devette experience. I do find that the first shave with a new blade is the roughest, and that things get more comfortable on subsequent shaves.

Steep angle for me wherever possible - absolutely no irritation and super efficient :)

Okay, but can you quantify "steep"? Assuming the top plate flat against your face is 0 degrees and the blade perpendicular to your face is 90 degrees, about what angle do you shave at?

Might not have been comfortable at all but 18 hours in and my face is still BBS with only slight stubble on chin and spots along jawline and neck. Damn, I wonder what we can eliminate next!!!? :lol:

Okay, but can you quantify "steep"? Assuming the top plate flat against your face is 0 degrees and the blade perpendicular to your face is 90 degrees, about what angle do you shave at?

For me it's much like the steep angle pictured here, something like a 60 to 75 degree angle by your reckoning.

For me it's much like the steep angle pictured here, something like a 60 to 75 degree angle by your reckoning.
Ok, I am on shallow side. I use even more shallow angle as in mentioned picture. At tough places I do even better - I put the razor perpendicular to the skin, so the blade can not touch the skin without pressure. Then I press the head of the razor so the blade touch the skin with almost paralel to the skin direction. It works very well during the first cleanup pass, especially with blades that are worn a little (frequently I use a blade for 20+ shaves, depends on blade).

Today I went to the dark side - loaded my vintage soviet slant razor without base plate. I have tried that three or four months ago with and the result was far behind my expectations. So today was the second trial.

The blade is curved under the cap and washer doesn´t fit, so I went without it. Though the blade doesn´t look very secure, still it stays firm, no shatter. I was afraid of flipping. On the other hand I use shallow angle, so that is not a problem.

It was a wonderful shave. The sound was heard three blocks down the street :lol:. The cutting ability of the blade was really much higher. No nicks or anything to be mentioned. Two effortless passes.

Sure I will go this way tomorrow, no doubts. My Muhle R41 devette get some rest. :lol:

Today I went to the dark side - loaded my vintage soviet slant razor without base plate. I have tried that three or four months ago with and the result was far behind my expectations. So today was the second trial.

The blade is curved under the cap and washer doesn´t fit, so I went without it. Though the blade doesn´t look very secure, still it stays firm, no shatter. I was afraid of flipping. On the other hand I use shallow angle, so that is not a problem.

It was a wonderful shave. The sound was heard three blocks down the street [emoji38]. The cutting ability of the blade was really much higher. No nicks or anything to be mentioned. Two effortless passes.

Sure I will go this way tomorrow, no doubts. My Muhle R41 devette get some rest. [emoji38]
Congratulations! Sounds amazong.
So is this the first slant devette? Is it a slevette?
And do you have photos?

This just keeps getting deeper...

Yes, it looks fine, but feels even better.
I doubt it is the first slanted devette, I am sure the world is full of crazy shavers (to name one - Marcus!) :lol:
I am not sure what the next step would be.
Here is a photo (please be assured my hands are not shaking when I shave):
$slant-devette.jpg

Only a matter of time before someone tries this, right? Or has someone already tried it? I would, but I don't have the right screw...

full

Last edited by a moderator:
After my third shave with slanted devette I see that this is the way to go ... If I said the devette is a good teacher, the slanted devette is the next grade teacher.
The main difference I can feel is that slant lets even less pressure than regular devette. And cutting capability of a blade increase too.
My logic says that every blade is more effective when you use slicing movement instead of chopping. I feel here I have the same story. I dont use steep angle, so I cant say if it work the same way then.
Anyway I feel my shave is better.

There's a video of a guy (whose moniker I can't recall) shaving with a de blade mounted on a bolt; but since there's no such thing as a search engine that doesn't suck a__, I'm unable to find it.

Top Bottom