What's new

No guard DE?

Finally got around to "fixing" the Rimei and tried it out this morning. Had a great shave and for some reason, thought it went even better than the "BBNY Double Edge Straight." Still using a Feather blade so I didn't expect any difference. Either it was the ultra light weight of the Rimei or the fact that this was my first shave in a couple weeks. (Yeah, I know, I know... shameful; but work's been busy.) With luck I'll get another shave in tomorrow and know for sure.

Using a devette really and truly teaches the concept of light pressure and shallow angle. I've found my technique has improved greatly. Perhaps this should be required for all new shavers. :w00t:

I find that it works quite well with a very steep angle, unlike a regular DE.

The RiMei is lightweight? Mine is probably the heaviest DE I've held (not that the list is long), though the head is likely light with the extra weight in the handle.

So I had four shaves with Bic Metal disposable razor without safety guard - the disposable "devette" that I wrote about few posts ago. Unfortunately my conclusion is that it is not a good substitute for real devette - my skin felt raw and far from comfortable, shaves with new disposable were far worse than those with regular DE blade after 20 shaves... All four shaves were very nice - blade went very smooth, no cuts, no nicks, but some 15 minutes later I found my skin irritated and not happy at all. No idea what makes the difference, maybe the blade of disposable is different, or I could not get a right angle. Maybe I should not remove the safety metal guard. Anyway, that is not the result I have expected :(

Fortunately I am not a big traveler and will think again next time I have to part with my razors.

The RiMei is lightweight? Mine is probably the heaviest DE I've held (not that the list is long), though the head is likely light with the extra weight in the handle.

Mine is very lightweight! To be clear, I'm talking about the 3-piece razor from China. The baseplate is *very* thin, and the top plate feels like pot metal. Now the BB razor, on the other hand, is a monster! That thing feels like a barbell.

Mine is very lightweight! To be clear, I'm talking about the 3-piece razor from China. The baseplate is *very* thin, and the top plate feels like pot metal. Now the BB razor, on the other hand, is a monster! That thing feels like a barbell.

From the pictures I've seen, I can only imagine.

My RiMei weighs 52.7 grams with blade.

Ball-end Old Type + BBX base plate = One Great Devette! :thumbup:

I have a special affection for this razor. It was a goner that I managed to restore to life. Now it has a new lease on life as a devette.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Devette with magnets to eliminate blade chatter -- not that blade chatter was ever an issue for me, but I thought I'd give it a try. These small "super magnets", from Home Depot, worked like a charm -- didn't budge while shaving or rinsing the razor. This is a noisy razor without the magnets; with them, it's as quiet as can be, with a rock-solid feel. Same great devette shave, of course.

full

Devette with magnets to eliminate blade chatter -- not that blade chatter was ever an issue for me, but I thought I'd give it a try. These small "super magnets", from Home Depot, worked like a charm -- didn't budge while shaving or rinsing the razor. This is a noisy razor without the magnets; with them, it's as quiet as can be, with a rock-solid feel. Same great devette shave, of course.

full

Another great innovation! I love the spirit of adventure in this thread.
I remember a guy using similar magnets with an injector blade.

I leave the corners of the guard/end teeth intact on my devettes to brace the blade, and I imagine these super magnets clamp it even tighter.
After my experience with the Spitfire R41 I know that micro-chatter is very much a matter of personal taste [emoji3]

I pass... This devette sound helps me and my neighbors dog to wake up... And what if the magnet will stick to my iron teeth or glasses... ???

BBX guardless base plate, inverted to accommodate the divots on the ATT head.

Used it for tonight's shave -- this may be the most awesome devette ever!

full

This may be one of the most terrifying razors I have seen. I'd feel more comfortable with a straight, or perhaps even a box cutter!
Haha

Last edited:
It just looks this way. Actually it is very safe. It is careful like a good teacher, and you won't forget it.

This may be one of the most terrifying razors I have seen. I'd feel more comfortable with a straight, or perhaps even a box cutter!
Haha

It just looks this way. Actually it is very safe. It is careful like a good teacher, and you won't forget it.

Wise words! Your description "like a good teacher" is brilliant!
The devette is not to be feared but it is to be respected.
It will change your understanding of shaving.

I bought the Barbe Bleue model X razor pictured in the first post in this thread. It did bite me for the first couple of shaves but it also taught me a lot about light pressure and angle while shaving. Be careful when first placing it on your face and beware of the exposed edge when handling the razor or putting it down. I rarely use it now but I find I do now like aggressive razors such as the 2013 Muhle R41 and the Gillette old and new type open comb razors.

The new activity in this thread has inspired me to make another devette from an anonymous British open comb.

I flipped a coarse benchstone on its side and, taking great care to leave the outermost teeth in place, it was a matter of minutes to grind the rest of the comb away:
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Respect is due to PW Calhoun!

Last edited:
Top Bottom