What's new

No guard DE?

I wouldn't be able to myself. It's like taking your old Tomcat with the torn ear and missing an eye, then cutting off one of his legs to see if he can run faster.

I at least have to give the intact razor a good trial. I am confident in being a qualified judge, and I know I'm going to love it, because it's basically an OC version of my #1 Rimei frankenrazor, right down to the weight, maybe 5 g lighter. Historically, it was the cut-out blade center that infringed patents and killed the integrity of Mr. Gillette's company, right? So MJ probably isn't wrong, though it makes it all the more interesting as a keepsake. Many believe the NEW was the highest elevation of razor design, before the long decline to cartridges, and my technical studies incline me to believe them.

One way to find out: time to shave! First impression -- yes, this razor can be improved significantly by removing the teeth. Operates perfectly naturally, as expected, between my hand and my face. "What a pussycat," I thought, sucker_dad's comment in mind. Easy DFS, like the Rimei... but what's this? Unusually visible stubble remnants under the surface? Tiny flakes of skin, reminiscent of that microscopic video Gillette released of its cartridges in action? What's going on here? And then, after lunch... the burn sets in. I lost some skin. The light kind of damage that goes away in a couple hours.

Should have known. Open comb = too sharp. Fuzzy logic in the angular function! I figured that out many posts ago, in this very thread. Tech:NEW::Wife:MIL? On the other hand, I've been shaving with a Feather in my devette fairly successfully this week. Need a little more time...

Last edited:
The devette formula is really crystallising out for me now
proxy.php

I took my lovely Souplex Open Comb with its small blade exposure and light weight (36g) then replaced the open comb baseplate with the baseplate from the Rimei devette which has the Calhounian guard corners intact.
Using a superb NOS British Perma-Sharp blade the result was an amazing devette shave.

For me the combination of small blade exposure + light weight + intact guard corners + great blade = ultimate shaving experience :)

I guess different people will prefer different blade exposures and razor weights depending on their techniques.

Leaving the guard corners on is a definite wiinner and the modified RiMei baseplate will fit most 3-piece DEs (including R41 although it does stick a bit with the Muhle) so there's plenty of room to experiment with different cap and handle combos using that same RiMei baseplate as the foundation.

Less blade-exposure with a devette makes for a rock-solid blade, i.e., no chatter; and narrow exposure gives me exceptional control and feel. I also prefer lighter-weight devettes because I have improved feel of the blade on my face and as it clears stubble.

I tried this with a second razor, a Tech, but the feel was not as good as with the Mission base place and DE89 top-cap. I'm sure this is personal preference with respect to feel. Since using a RR Baby Smooth, I prefer lighter-weight razors. The light-weight RRBS has given me an appreciation for the enhanced feel of lighter-weight razors. Again, it's a matter of one's personal preference.

RE the R41: I feel it cannot give one the same kind of shave as a devette. The safety (saftey?) bar on the 41 prevents the same area of blade contact I get from a "Devon Devette".

Last edited:
I just can't do it to the old gal! Got a nice shave out of her today, just an unusual amount of splash-burn. By analogy to the Feather, my issue is clearly personal; someone with less curly, wispy whiskers could love this razor as much as I love the Rimei... and I couldn't even stand to chop that! Plus, searching for a busted tooth on the market, I realized the tragedy of the Goodwills. So I'm remodeling the den; she's living with us.
$0428151412.jpg
BUT -- GET THIS -- Hold the NEW LC up against a Chinese Super Speed clone, and the guard corners' inner extent lines up with the first etch line on the straight bar, as if indicating exactly where to lay your hacksaw. It's the same metal you need to preserve the bomber-bay door function! If it wasn't the middle of the night, I'd be working on it already. My plan: open door, thread hacksaw through lather channel, make sideways cuts; close door, make inward cuts; snap; file.

Last edited:
I just can't do it to the old gal! Got a nice shave out of her today, just an unusual amount of splash-burn. By analogy to the Feather, my issue is clearly personal; someone with less curly, wispy whiskers could love this razor as much as I love the Rimei... and I couldn't even stand to chop that! Plus, searching for a busted tooth on the market, I realized the tragedy of the Goodwills. So I'm remodeling the den; she's living with us.

BUT -- GET THIS -- Hold the NEW LC up against a Chinese Super Speed clone, and the guard corners' inner extent lines up with the first etch line on the straight bar, as if indicating exactly where to lay your hacksaw. It's the same metal you need to preserve the bomber-bay door function! If it wasn't the middle of the night, I'd be working on it already. My plan: open door, thread hacksaw through lather channel, make sideways cuts; close door, make inward cuts; snap; file.
I totally respect your decision to preserve the beautiful NEW and the Superspeed project is also very exciting.

You have prompted me to put my money where my mouth is, and my gorgeous 1930's chrome Souplex Open Comb, after giving such a great shave with the guardless RiMei baseplate, has now become my gorgeous 21st Century chrome Souplex devette.

Using an India slipstone to grind off the teeth, it's as easy as 1, 2, 3...
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

I love my new Art Deco devette!
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
You know, I haven't wanted to make a corner-guard DE out of my only RiMei, my favorite of my two DEs, but I just realized...could I make it out of my Micro Touch One, which I don't bother with because the RiMei is superior?

"Devon Devette' was merely a bit or wordplay on all you've done in pursuit of no-guard razors--a compliment, not a criticism.

"Devon Devette' was merely a bit or wordplay on all you've done in pursuit of no-guard razors--a compliment, not a criticism.
Ooh no - I certainly didn't think it was a critiscism :)
I hadn't realised it was a reference to where I live (which was why I asked) but I feel greatly complimented so thank you!

And I'm having a sort of devette crisis now the Souplex is in play - why would I want to use anything else?
It's beautiful, historical, collectible and delivers the best possible shave with no need for maintenance and has a vast array of blade choices.
It has all the things I like about SEs and straights and it's somehow vintage and super modern progressive at the same time.
Wow!

That is a nice piece. When perfection is within reach, you gotta go for it!
...could I make it out of my Micro Touch One, which I don't bother with because the RiMei is superior?
Initial results not impressive for low-angle, as the doors seem to limit exposure with their squareness. The intact side doesn't seem to do anything useful, either, however. I'm only working with a Yingjili currently, a beater which I had already filed to see what it was made of. The needle file work is not trivial.
$1430084233702538011558.jpg$1430084370286-1697759561.jpg
After taking a bastard file to the unguarded-side door (not quite the "seam stripper" modification, but rounding that square edge down), I did manage to get a close shave, but not all that fine, with a totally standard post-shave feel. I'm going to put a serious bevel on it...
$0428151843.jpg
Okay, now we're a capable devette! The Pratt modification seems to be just as relevant as the Calhoun (or eliminating the safety bar, or leaving the baseplate off) to razors that need it. Which raises a question in my mind: how thick and square-edged is the Barbe Blue top cap? Is it... "top guarded?"

So, to answer captaincaveman: I don't think the MT1 would actually need the top bevel, just the bar removal. The brass is thinner, such that the lip is about the same as my ground-down Yingjili. Personally, I'm not going to mess with it, though. I need an idiot-proof razor sometimes!

Last edited:
Sounds like you've found 'the' devette in your modified Souplex. The Souplex is a handsome razor and looks to be well-made. Enjoy it! There may be no need for you to do an R41 comparison.

Still I am sorry for the Souplex razor. I would not dare to make that to it... You are a real devetteman, so the term "Devon devette" should be well described in wiki.

Sounds like you've found 'the' devette in your modified Souplex. The Souplex is a handsome razor and looks to be well-made. Enjoy it! There may be no need for you to do an R41 comparison.
Thanks! I've just shaved with the Souplex devette and for me it's as good as it gets - the smaller blade exposure makes a real difference to the comfort, and it just looks and feels so good :)
Still I am sorry for the Souplex razor. I would not dare to make that to it... You are a real devetteman, so the term "Devon devette" should be well described in wiki.
I did wonder whether I should do this, but the Souplex is from the 1930's when Calhoun made his suggestion so it felt authentic thinking that some men then would have done this too.

And it's turned an otherwise mild shaver that I wouldn't have used into something amazinggggggg!!!! And it looks so fantastic!

I can imagine a Single Ring and NEW devette, but even I would think twice before doing this to a New Improved.

Souplex made some excellent bakelite razors, and they would also be ideal candidates.

My Rimeis finally arrived. I tried getting the guard off of one of the base plates with a pliers, but it wouldn't budge. Is there a trick to it?

I used a small pair of bolt cutters; then followed up with a Dremel to polish the cuts. A Dremel and a cutting wheel will work. Perhaps some of the other guys have alternatives to what I've mentioned.

My Rimeis finally arrived. I tried getting the guard off of one of the base plates with a pliers, but it wouldn't budge. Is there a trick to it?
I just use a hacksaw to seperate the guard from the corners, then bend the guard firmly up and down with the pliers until it snaps off.
I have a Souplex, but here in USA they are not that easy to find.
Wouldn't an Old Type work just as well?
An Old Type would be ideal, though maybe not quite as good looking :)
What do you think of the Souplex OC? I found it very mild but it does allow steep angle.

Top Bottom