What's new

No guard DE?

And, of course, the shave is amazing!!
proxy.php

With a shallower angle I got a nice smooth feel too - Shavecraft Tech, R41, Cobra Classic: the simple devette matches them all!!

Decided to try this with an Odyssey razor that I bought for the handle. I replaced the handle with my original Fatip handle to lighten it up and cut off the guard - including the ends. Straights don't have end guards, right?

Loaded it this AM with a GSB, which for me is a good balance between sharp and smooth. The experience was neither a shaving epiphany nor a bloodbath to hell.

First WTG pass at 60-degree angle produce a lot of blade chatter and tugging. Beyond that, the first pass experience wasn't much different than any aggressive razor. I did keep my shaving strokes perpendicular to the blade face to ensure I wasn't cut by the unguarded ends of the blade.

Second XTG pass was just more of the same. Light touch and a significant amount of attention produced a decent, but unremarkable shave.

$IMG_2910.JPG$IMG_2911.JPG$IMG_2912.JPG

No blood or nicks from either pass. This isn't difficult if you are experienced with aggressive razors. On a scale of 1-5 (highest) I'd rate it as follows...

Close: 3. Average. Still visible stubble on areas of the neck and upper cheek.
Smooth: 2, Lots of blade chatter
Comfortable: 4, The full blade exposure was easily managed by using a light touch.

Overall an interesting experience, but not a transformative one. I get better, closer shaves from other razors. I might try this again with a Feather (sharper) and a Kai (thicker) just for fun.

Leaving the ends of the guards intact minimises chatter as well as making the devette easier to rest.
Straights don't have end guards but they don't have thin flexible blades either.

And if the devette hasn't given you BBS then there's something seriously amiss.

And if the devette hasn't given you BBS then there's something seriously amiss.

IMHO BBS is a bit overrated and is often used to describe some pretty average shaves. The only BBS I've ever experienced was a three pass with an R41. I seriously doubt BBS for me is possible without an ATG pass, regardless of blade exposure. I guess it's in the eye (or face) of the beholder.

IMHO BBS is a bit overrated and is often used to describe some pretty average shaves. The only BBS I've ever experienced was a three pass with an R41. I seriously doubt BBS for me is possible without an ATG pass, regardless of blade exposure. I guess it's in the eye (or face) of the beholder.

For sure YMMV is king here!
A lot of this is about persisting to perfect technique, but a lot of it is also about experimenting to find what suits you.

I love the devette (as do a couple of other notable contributors to this thread) - it suits my technique and skin chemistry - but there's many who just don't get on with it at all...

Blade chatter was mentioned again. Is blade chatter a YMMV kind of thing? Maybe my whiskers are too soft to ever generate it. Can't say I've ever experienced it.

Blade chatter was mentioned again. Is blade chatter a YMMV kind of thing? Maybe my whiskers are too soft to ever generate it. Can't say I've ever experienced it.

I think whether you like blade chatter or not is YMMV - it's one of the things that causes contention with both the 2011 R41 and the Cobra Classic.
Feels like the edge is walking quickly across your face....

I think it is not a YMMW. As I see it, it depends on blade (some are thicker than others) and blade angle.

For sure YMMV is king here!
A lot of this is about persisting to perfect technique, but a lot of it is also about experimenting to find what suits you.

I love the devette (as do a couple of other notable contributors to this thread) - it suits my technique and skin chemistry - but there's many who just don't get on with it at all...

Oh, this sums it up nicely. Especially, for me, the part about persisting and experimenting. After eight or 10 months of devette shaving I had a breakthrough: I realized that I was daydreaming while shaving. Muscle memory had kicked in; I was able to relax. Now, 14 months in, I love what the devette has done for my technique. I get bloodless, irritation-free, BBS shaves on demand. In the final touch-up, I can home in on any remaining individual whiskers, and zap 'em. Amazing.

Regardless of shaving tool a third pass ATG is required to get BBS. The ATG pass lifts up the stubble and cuts it off below the outer skin level. You can shave WTG and XTG as long as you like but you'll never get a BBS without shaving ATG.

The new activity in this thread has inspired me to make another devette from an anonymous British open comb.

I flipped a coarse benchstone on its side and, taking great care to leave the outermost teeth in place, it was a matter of minutes to grind the rest of the comb away:
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Respect is due to PW Calhoun!

Wow! Looks very neat! You must have had a very close shave.

Haven't tried a devette yet but it looks like a pussycat to me;it could bite if mishandled but for the most part is inclined to purr.

130g+ of heavyweight devette goodness for me this morning:
proxy.php

Man what a great shave!
The awesomeness of the devette is a constant amazement :)
proxy.php

Kirko is looking on in astonishment...

130g+ of heavyweight devette goodness for me this morning:
proxy.php

Very nice! What handle is that, and what head?

Once the devette technique is solid, the weight of the gear is a matter of taste or mood, I find, same as with safety razors.

Very nice! What handle is that, and what head?

Once the devette technique is solid, the weight of the gear is a matter of taste or mood, I find, same as with safety razors.

The head and handle are both eBay cheapies.
I normally use very light devettes and this is a refreshing change.
As you say, it's just a matter of mood.

I tried this last night, and It worked pretty well. I shaved with my army issue 1919 Gillette Old Type. I just screwed the handle on the blade and the top cap. I left the guard off. The top cap has enough curve to it that the blade was still very stiff. It really did not feel any different than with the guard on there. The key was to use the same angle as I do when the guard is on. This was my 9th shave with a GSB blade. I think this made a difference as I'd be less apt to try with a brand new sharp blade. I think having the blade dull from 7 previous uses saved me from cuts.

I tried this last night, and It worked pretty well. I shaved with my army issue 1919 Gillette Old Type. I just screwed the handle on the blade and the top cap. I left the guard off. The top cap has enough curve to it that the blade was still very stiff. It really did not feel any different than with the guard on there. The key was to use the same angle as I do when the guard is on. This was my 9th shave with a GSB blade. I think this made a difference as I'd be less apt to try with a brand new sharp blade. I think having the blade dull from 7 previous uses saved me from cuts.

Are you using the top cap to guide you?

Top Bottom