What's new

No guard DE?

Hi Gytis, You have mentioned that you keep track of the shaves and use one side only. Some of the blades doesn't have the numbers on the sides and it would be difficult to track. Can you please explain how you keep track of the shaves? do you alternate the sides on the shaves? For example if you use the side 1 today you will use the side 2 tomorrow, etc.,? If you flip the blades then the side 3 and 4 will be used in the next shaves? It would be helpful if you could give some details. Thanks for the help!

Hi Gytis, You have mentioned that you keep track of the shaves and use one side only. Some of the blades doesn't have the numbers on the sides and it would be difficult to track. Can you please explain how you keep track of the shaves? do you alternate the sides on the shaves? For example if you use the side 1 today you will use the side 2 tomorrow, etc.,? If you flip the blades then the side 3 and 4 will be used in the next shaves? It would be helpful if you could give some details. Thanks for the help!
Hi Venkat :)

Yes, I use one side of one edge (1st edge a side), next goes one side of the second (2 edge a side), then second side of first edge (1st b side), and second side of the second edge (2nd edge b side). So the routine goes like 1a, 2a, 1b, 2b . So I use one edge today and second tomorrow. I read somewhere the edge should rest some 24 hours to get edge back. Sure when one edge is finished, I use the second edge exclusively utpto the e2nd. And have a sheet in google sheets where I see numbers of shaves, track of blades, shaves per soap/cream and so on.

Some blades have numbers, so that is simple. Other blades dont, so that is more difficult. If a blade is marked at all, one side has several writings and so I know where is top edge and where is bottom edge (lets say Gillette is written on top, and stainless steel on bottom side). If the both sides are the same when you flip a blade, I just make a small dent on right side of a blade (not the edge, but side part) with scissors so I know if I have a dent on right side, this will be side a, if it is on left side, that is b side. Earlier the permanent marker made business, but now I use a blade for longer time and writings just go off :))

I hope you understood the idea, sorry for my English. Tell me if not, I will make a picture to explain it - pictures usually use the same language :)))

Once again I found that shaving world is an exception of general rules. Here some cheap products can easily be much better than well priced ones. So I found a Polish made shaving cream called Bond Superspeed Aloe. I just saw ingredients and that was the only reason I opted to buy it for 1.45 euro. And now bought several more tubes. Not only it has some components that are used in eye medicine production and has no "bad" ingredients, it is also perfect in performance... The only "drawback" is that its consistency is more liquid than usual, but that does not make difference for me.

Have a good shave, my friends.

Thanks Gytis! I am following your steps for tracking. I think by following your method, minimum 4 shaves are assured. I think we can use 3-4 shaves each side and in total we can have 1bout 16 shaves in a single blade. This is really great! When I did not track the sides of the blade I am using, I tend to feel that the blade has lost its sharpness which 4-5 shaves. Thanks again for the help! Please let me know where I can get the Bond Superspeed Aloe.

Last edited:
Thanks Gytis! I am following your steps for tracking. I think by following your method, minimum 4 shaves are assured. I think we can use 3-4 shaves each side and in total we can have 1bout 16 shaves in a single blade. This is really great! When I did not track the sides of the blade I am using, I tend to feel that the blade has lost its sharpness which 4-5 shaves. Thanks again for the help! Please let me know where I can get the Bond Superspeed Aloe.
Yes, you got it right :)) still not all blades last for 16 shaves, because some of them have not as fine edge from very beginning.
As for Bond Seedmaster (sorry I wrote superspeed earlier!) - it is made in Poland and obviously is not very popular (or maybe a new) product. I think only one lot landed here in Lithuania and now it just disappears from shelves. I hope they will bring more of it.
Here I found a thread about these creams - I have this green one. Unfortunately I cant find it online. Really perfect product.
BTW another polish cream mentioned in this thread - Lider - is ready available here, but its smell does not made me happy :) Should I try it? Will see.

Last edited:
Usually all of my obsessions come and go away. But I have a different situation with Devette. I would already wish to go further, to the next razor. The problem is I do not see and cant imagine anything more efficient, really. I am afraid this devette journey is much longer than I thought. I use Devette from the first trial back in mid January, only two or three shaves were given to other razors. They are ok, but I just love the purity of bare blade, no training wheels, no guards, nothing in excess. Just you and your blade. And sheer joy of freedom of your hand, amazement how perfectly precise it is. I dont think that will last forever, but I wish my hand will not shake many years ahead. I should have followed idea to become a surgeon :lol:

I am afraid this thread is going to die. Let it go natural - things go their way, devette stays with me :)

I am just interested am I alone, or someone else still use devette as your tool of choice?

Usually all of my obsessions come and go away. But I have a different situation with Devette. I would already wish to go further, to the next razor. The problem is I do not see and cant imagine anything more efficient, really. I am afraid this devette journey is much longer than I thought. I use Devette from the first trial back in mid January, only two or three shaves were given to other razors. They are ok, but I just love the purity of bare blade, no training wheels, no guards, nothing in excess. Just you and your blade. And sheer joy of freedom of your hand, amazement how perfectly precise it is. I dont think that will last forever, but I wish my hand will not shake many years ahead. I should have followed idea to become a surgeon [emoji38]

I am afraid this thread is going to die. Let it go natural - things go their way, devette stays with me :)

I am just interested am I alone, or someone else still use devette as your tool of choice?
Maybe the only place to go from the devette is the sevette - a stiff single edge carbon steel blade...

...actually the devette has led me back to straights :)

... I am just interested am I alone, or someone else still use devette as your tool of choice?

Gytis, you're not alone. Devette is my tool of choice, for all the reasons you give. I've not found anything else as close, efficient, and irritation-free.

Is it just me, or do others find that some blades that are excellent in a regular DE razor are not so hot in a devette? I get wonderful DE shaves from Personna Labs and Goals (made in China for the Indonesian market), but find that they're unacceptably rough in a devette. The blades that work best for me in a devette are Gillette Silver Blue, Russian Perma-Sharp, Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp (Indian Greens), and Treet Platinum Stainless. How about you?

I can not say for sure yet as I have tried one blade per brand since I started use devette, 9 blades so far. More to that almost at the same time I started use a blade for much more number of shaves (used to bin a blade after 4-6 shaves, now I get 23-30 shaves per blade). But some of them definitely feel different from very beginning.

Today I just tried the Ikon razor. The shave is amazingly smooth. I think you will hone your technique when you use a Devette and then all other razors will give you a better shave. I might be wrong. I am following Glytis in selecting and sequencing the blade to use all four sides effectively. I will use only one side of the blade for a shave. That way if I get 3~4 shaves per side then it is 16 shaved on a blade. I have not yet completed a blade yet and will post the results.

First devette shave for a while with the Souplex this morning
proxy.php

...and I was amazed all over again!

The devette is certainly not as comfortable during the shave as my Spitfire R41 or straights but it achieves a magic which no other razor (apart from the sevette!) can - true deep irritation free BBS on my neck and chin which will last and last and last.
A great start to the day :)

Hard to believe that I've been devette-shaving for almost 7 months. I've become totally at ease with it, and can do a complete 3-pass shave, including ATG on the upper lip, in 10 minutes. My regular DE razors rarely see use these days -- which is sad, but the efficiency, closeness and lack of irritation in the devette shave are unbeatable.

Today it came to me that it would not be fair of me to compare devette to anything else. I used my other favorite razors just two or three times in these last 6 or 7 months just to find them clumsy, though I got nice shaves.

Oh, I see washers coming to play :)) Who said the ATT is not a great razor? Good job, Viseguy!

Thanks, Gytis. I'm about to have my first full shave with it. Report to follow.

Report: Yet another super-close, irritation-free devette shave! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom